Android One users, who have already updated to the latest Android 6.0 Marshmallow firmware, can now restore root access and re-enable system modifications on the device by flashing the Zeus kernel via TWRP or Philz touch recovery. The root access can be achieved by flashing SuperSU v2.50 on the device, after installing the kernel via custom recovery.
Zeus kernel compatible Android One devices
- Micromax Canvas A1
- Karbonn Sparkle V
- Spice Dream UNO
- MyPhone Uno
- Symphony Roar A50
- Cherry Mobile One
- Nexian Journey One
- Mito Impact
- Evercross One X
- Verify that any custom recovery tool such as TWRP or Philz touch is pre-installed on your Android One smartphone. You can download the latest TWRP software from the official website.
- Ensure the correct USB drivers for your phone are installed on the computer to transfer the kernel and SuperSu files to the device's storage.
- Your device must be fully charged or at least have 80% battery charge on it, as a drained-out battery could cause the device to shut down unexpectedly and hamper the rooting process, which could permanently damage the device.
- Back up any important data and settings on your phone to prevent unexpected data loss during or after root installation, as the process will wipe out all data from your device.
IBTimes UK reminds readers that it will not be responsible for any damage to device during or after rooting your Android One smartphone. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
Steps to root Android One devices on Android 6.0 Marshmallow update
- Download the Zeus kernel and the SuperSU package from the links provided.
- Copy the two downloaded zip files to a safe location on your device's internal storage.
- Reboot your phone into Custom Recovery or TWRP: Power off your device, and then press and hold volume down and power keys together. Then choose recovery option when prompted.
- Perform a nandroid backup as follows:
Select the backup option in TWRP and select the following options: System, Data, Boot, Recovery, EFS and swipe the confirmation button to begin the backup.
- Wait until the backup process completes and then return to recovery main menu or home screen. Hit the Install option and then browse to the Zeus kernel file and select it.
- To begin installing the kernel, just swipe the confirmation button.
- Return to the TWRP home screen again and tap on the install option. Go to the SuperSU zip file you downloaded earlier and choose it.
- Swipe the confirmation button to continue with installation.
- After the installation completes, just reboot system.
[Source: Droid Views]