The SlimROMs team has just rolled out its first Alpha version of SlimLP ROM based on latest Android 5.0.2 (Lollipop) firmware for the international variant of Galaxy S4 LTE (GT-I9505).
The SlimLP ROM comes in an extremely lightweight and bloatware free package that offers only the basic features (suitable for casual users) of a minimal custom ROM, unlike the fully-loaded CyanogenMod or Paranoid Android ROM (for power users).
As the ROM is still in its developmental stages, it may harbour a few untested bugs or broken features.
Nevertheless, those who wish to try out the newest Lollipop ROM with build Android 5.0.2 can go ahead and install the same via SlimLP Alpha 1 ROM, using the step-by-step guide given below.
The latest build of Android 5.0.2 SlimLP Alpha 1 ROM is now available for manual download, with due credit to XDA Recognised senior member, Tylog.
IBTimes UK reminds readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after the ROM installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for the international variants of Galaxy S4 LTE (GT-I9505) only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone
- Ensure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Galaxy S4 LTE USB drivers)
- Enable USB Debugging mode via Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 4.0 or above) or Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier)
- Ensure that the phone is rooted with CWM recovery installed and its bootloader is unlocked
Steps to Install Android 5.0.2 SlimLP Alpha 1 ROM on Galaxy S4 LTE (GT-I9505)
Step 1 - Download Android 5.0.2 SlimLP Alpha 1 ROM for Galaxy S4 LTE on the computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount the phone's USB mass storage on the computer with the USB cable.
Step 3 - Copy the downloaded SlimLP ROM zip file to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from the computer.
Step 5 - Boot the device into Recovery Mode by pressing Volume up, Home and Power buttons on your phone.
Step 6 - Once the phone enters CWM Recovery, perform a full data wipe task by clicking Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Use the Volume keys to navigate between options and the Power button to select an option in the Recovery Mode.
Step 7 - Perform Wipe Cache Partition and wait until the process completes.
Step 8 - Perform Wipe Dalvik Cache as well. To do this, go to the 'advanced' option and then click Wipe Dalvik Cache. This will help in preventing boot loop issues or any boot ROM related errors during firmware installation.
Step 9 - Return to the main recovery menu and choose Install Zip from SD card.
Step 10 - Click Choose Zip from SD card. Use volume keys to navigate to the SlimLP Alpha 1 ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your phone's SD card and choose it by tapping the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on the next screen and the installation process will begin.
Note: Repeat Step 9 and Step 10 to install Google Apps (Gapps) as well.
Step 11 - Once both the Gapps and ROM are installed, go to "+++++Go Back+++++" and select Reboot System Now in the Recovery menu.
The phone will now reboot and the first boot may take about five minutes to complete. So, please be patient.
Your Galaxy S4 LTE (GT-I9505) is now running the latest Android 5.0.2 Lollipop via SlimLP Alpha 1 custom ROM. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.