Galaxy Note 2 N7100 users can now enjoy a highly-stable Android 4.4.2 KitKat experience with a wide-array of customisation options, Halo mods and support for OTA updates, thanks to the release of Android Open Source Bam (AOSB) custom ROM by XDA recognised senior member, codexc (aka Hany Alsamman).
The AOSB ROM is based on the highly popular Cyanogenmod ROM (official releases) with its custom KitKat features extracted from ProBAM ROM. Some of the salient features ported into this ROM include built-in screen recorder, besides a host of custom UI options taken from CyanogenMod 11, AOKP, Omni and SlimKat ROMs.
Check out the complete list of features ported into the AOSB KitKat ROM below:
- OTA Support
- AOSB Exclusive Feature: Custom SmoothProgressBar
- AOKP Navigation bar menu in settings for all devices now
- AOKP Animation Control
- ListView Animation
- Keyboard Animation
- Scrolling Animation
- AOKP Custom Navigation Ring
- AOKP Custom Navigation Bar
- ChameleonOS Gesture Anywhere
- ChameleonOS Screen Recording
- ChameleonOS Screen Recorder: add ability to record audio from mic
- TeloRadio (Connection Manager)
- Omni Audio Themes Settings
- OmniSwitch App
- Omni allow disabling call end sound
- Omni Audio : Stereo widening
- Omni Audio : Center frequency for Bass Boost
- AOSPAL LockScreen Notifications
- AOSPAL Lockscreen Blur
- Slim CRT animation: add scale down
- Slim IME options
- Slim DarkUI (system wide in black)
- Add Music Tile
- Flip to Mute/Reject Call
- Advanced BatteryBar
- Chainfire SU App
- User selectable camera click sound (disable camera sound)
- Quicktile row option:set 3,4,5 tiles per row
- LTE toggle support and Configurable up to user (LTE or 4G)
- Add Wifi name to notification drawer and option to enable/disable
- Frameworks: notification drawer background
- wide support for chinese language
- wide support for dutch language
- MediaScanner behavior on boot
- HALO MODS
- HALO: make windows move able and scale able
- Mobile Network Battery Saver Mode
- Configurable up to user (LTE or 4G)
- Advanced Battery Bar
- FB sync abbility to connect facebook contacts into contacts app
- App sidebar
- IME switcher notification
- Navigation bar with custom dimensions
- Screen video recording
- Configurable init.d
- Build PropModder
- Incoming calls dialog
- RAM bar with custom colors
- Builtin Xposed Framework
- Xposed : Per-App Layout
- Network usage stats
- ChameleonOS Active display (s-view alternative)
- AD: Display Time out
- AD: Turn Off Display
- AD: Threshold to proximity
- AD: Sort notifications by newest to oldest
- AD: HUGE Fixes
- mms: iOS features
- mms: Emoji and Smiley support
- samsung kernel super charged
- advanced low battery indicator options
- Custom Carrier Label
Interested Galaxy Note 2 N7100 users can go ahead and install the Android 4.4.2 AOSB custom ROM on their phones by following our step-by-step guide provided below.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The AOSB KitKat ROM and the instructions given in this guide are meant for the Galaxy Note 2 N7100 model only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Galaxy Note 2 N7100 USB drivers).
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on the phone, by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (NOTE: Tap the phone's Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings.) Then select the checkbox to enable USB debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Make sure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Ensure the device is unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted with latest ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery (v22.214.171.124 or above) installed. If you are installing the CWM recovery for the first time, check out the video tutorial below, courtesy of The Android Soul:
- If the device is stuck at booting or experiencing boot loop issues, perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before you start working on it.
- Android 4.4.2 KitKat AOSB ROM (dated 22-2-2014)
- Android 4.4.2 KitKat compatible Google Apps (optional, the ROM works fine without installing this)
- Philz_Touch Recovery (CWM Advanced Edition) (install via recovery mode)
How to Install Android 4.4.2 KitKat AOSB ROM on Galaxy Note 2 N7100
Step 1: Download Android 4.4.2 AOSB ROM for Galaxy Note 2 N7100 to computer
Step 2: Download Google Apps package
Step 3: Connect the Galaxy Note 2 to computer via USB cable. Without extracting, copy the downloaded firmware zip and Google Apps zip files to the root folder of the phone's SD card.
Step 4: Power off the phone and wait for 5 to 10 seconds until the device shuts down completely.
Step 5: Now press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the Galaxy Note 2 logo appears on screen and the device boots into Recovery mode. NOTE: In recovery mode, use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select the desired option.
Step 6: If installing AOSB ROM for first time then do steps a) and b) (else if upgrading from previous build, then skip to next step):
a) Perform Wipe data/Factory reset (this will delete all apps and their settings and game progress) and choose Yes on next screen to confirm the action.
b) Return to CWM recovery main menu and select Mounts and Storage> Format / data and click Yes on next screen to confirm.
Step 7: From the main menu of CWM recovery, perform Wipe Cache partition. Then go to Advanced and choose Wipe Dalvik Cache. Then hit Yes on next screen to confirm.
Step 8: Select Install Zip from sdcard and then click Choose zip from sdcard. Browse to the location of the AOSB custom ROM file which you copied earlier to your phone's SD card. Choose Yes on next screen to confirm the ROM installation.
Step 9: Repeat the previous step to install Google Apps as well.
Step 10: Once Google Apps is also installed, select "Go Back"and reboot the device by tapping reboot system now from the recovery menu. Your Galaxy Note 2 will restart and it may take about 5 minutes for first boot. So, do not interrupt the process.
Your Galaxy Note 2 N7100 is now running on Android 4.4.2 KitKat via AOSB ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware installed.
NOTE: If the device gets stuck at boot loop (while rebooting), then just do a factory reset from recovery mode to fix the issue.