Manny Pacquiao says he has retired from boxing after sealing a comprehensive victory over Timothy Bradley in Las Vegas. In his first bout since losing to Floyd Mayweather Jnr in May 2015, the 37-year-old recorded knock downs in the seventh and ninth rounds en route to sealing a unanimous points decision in a decider against Bradley, having previously fought him in 2012 and 2014.
Pacquiao now plans to focus fully on his political career and is hoping to win one of 12 seats in the Philippine's upper chamber as a United Nationalist Alliance (UNA) party senator. He has been a member of Philippine's congress for the last eight years.
Despite his trainer Freddie Roach and promoter Bob Arum suggesting he could return to the ring again, the eight-time welterweight world champion insisted he will now hang up his gloves for good, with a record of 57 wins (38 via knockout and six losses).
"Yes, I am retired. I want to go home to my family and serve the people," Pacquiao said.
Pacquiao lost his WBO welterweight title in 2012 to Bradley via a controversial split decision but dominated their rematch two years later to regain the belt. The Filipino fighter was similarly superior at the MGM Arena on Saturday. Bradley, fighting under new trainer Teddy Atlas, pressed his opponent in the fifth, forcing him into the ropes and connecting with some sharp combinations.
Pacquiao recovered swiftly however and by the sixth, was beginning to find his devastating range, dropping his opponent with a vicious right hook. Bradley's camp argued their man had slipped, but they could have no argument in the ninth when Pacquiao countered brilliantly to land a huge left, sending the 32-year-old to the canvas again.
Pacquiao follows Mayweather in retirement, after the unbeaten American left the ring for the final time after victory over Andre Berto in September 2015 – his 49th career victory.