Recently, a flurry of Nexus devices including Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 and Nexus I9250 have received the latest official Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) update from Google. However, a few older devices such as the Nexus S I9020 and Galaxy S I9000 are unlikely to get latest official Jelly Bean updates from their device maker anytime soon. Hence, the release of Android 4.2.2 custom Jelly Bean ROM from the CyanogenMod team gains precedence, as discerning users would be eager to try their hands on the latest Jelly Bean firmware.
NOTE: As the CyanogenMod 10.1 M2 ROM is a nightly release, it may harbour a few untested bugs or broken features, which are expected to be fixed in the upcoming updates as development progress. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged during or after ROM installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
Key Points to Note
- CyanogenMod 10.1 M2 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable for the Nexus S I9020 model only and will not work with any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the Nexus phone on computer (download Nexus S I9020 USB drivers)
- Backup the important data and settings on the phone. Users are advised to backup data using one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone set up. Avoid using either Samsung KIES or ROM manager for data backup, as they lack flexible options.
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabledon the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if the phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise, if the device is running the latest Android 4.2 firmware, then do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number
- Tap the Build Number for seven times so that the hidden Developer Options is unlocked under Settings. Now, select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Ensure that the device has at least 80 percent battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown during firmware installation
- Verify that the phone is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted with ClockworkMod recovery installed.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Update on Nexus S I9020 with CyanogenMod 10.1 M2 ROM
Step 2 - Connect and mount the phone's USB mass storage on computer with the USB cable.
Step 3 - Now, copy the downloaded CM10.1 M2 ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder of the phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Switch off the phone and boot it into Bootloader Mode.To do so,press and hold the Volume Up, Volume Down and Power button together until the device Powers on.
Step 5 - Follow the onscreen navigational instructions. Now, select Bootloader option and then enter Recovery mode.
Step 6 - In CWM recovery, perform full data wipe first. Then browse to Flash zip from SD card option and select it by tapping the Power button.
Step 7 - Hit the Power button again and click Choose zip from SD card.
Step 8 - Now, use the volume keys to navigate to the CM10.1 ROM zip file and choose it by tapping the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation process will begin.
NOTE: Repeat this step for installing Google Apps as well.
Step 9 - Once the ROM installation completes, hit Go Back and tap on Reboot System Now in the recovery menu. The phone will reboot and its first boot may take about five minutes to complete. So, leave it alone.
Nexus S I9020 is now successfully updated to Android 4.2.2 CyanogenMod 10.1 M2 Jelly Bean ROM. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]