Galaxy S I9000 users can now enjoy the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean custom ROM, with due credit to the CyanogenMod team. The newly released CyanogenMod 10.1 (CM10.1) M2 ROM brings enhanced speed, stability and features to older Jelly Bean capable devices such as Galaxy S I9100G, Galaxy S I9000, HTC Incredible 4G and Nexus S I9020.
Key Points to Note
- CyanogenMod 10.1 M2 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable for the Galaxy S I9000 model only and will not work with any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Backup important data and settings on the phone to avoid data loss during the firmware installation. It is recommended to use one of the custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP for data backup, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone set up.
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabledon the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if the phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise, if the device is running Android 4.2, then do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and choose Build Number
- Tap the Build Number for seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Now, select or enable the checkbox for USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for Galaxy S I9000 on computer (download USB drivers)
- Ensure that the device has at least 85 per cent battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the CyanogenMod 10.1 M2 ROM.
- Make sure that the phone is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted with ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed on it.
- Do a Dalvik Cache Wipe before continuing from Recovery Mode.
- Samsung KIES will not recognise the phone after installing the Android 4.2.2 CM10.1 M2 ROM, as it is a custom release.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if you damage or brick your device during or after firmware installation. Users must proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy S I9000 with CyanogenMod 10.1 M2 ROM
Step 2 - Connect and mount the Galaxy S USB mass storage on computer with the USB cable.
Step 3 - Now, copy the downloaded CyanogenMod 10.1 M2 ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder of the phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Then Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5 - Now press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the device boots into Recovery Mode.
Step 6 - In ClockworkMod recovery, do a full data wipe first. Then navigate to Flash zip from SD card option and hit the Power button to choose it.
Step 7 - Tap the Power button again and click Choose zip from SD card.
Step 8 - Now, use the volume keys to browse to the CyanogenMod 10.1 ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your phone's SD card and choose it by tapping the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on the next screen and the installation process will begin.
NOTE: Repeat this step for installing Google Apps as well.
Step 9 - Once the ROM installation is completed, hit Go Back and reboot the phone by clicking Reboot System Now in the Recovery menu. The phone will reboot and its first boot may take about 5 minutes to complete. So, please leave it alone.
Galaxy S I9000 is now successfully updated to Android 4.2.2 CyanogenMod 10.1 M2 Jelly Bean ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]