Ottawa Shooting: Shocking First Video of Gunman Inside Parliament
A still from a video taken inside the Parliament building during the shootingThe Globe and Mail

The Mayor of Ottawa has said it is a "sad and tragic day for our city and our country," following the attack on the Canadian parliament that left one soldier dead.

The Canadian parliament building in the capital Ottawa, was attacked by three armed gunmen. At least 30 shots were fired inside in a stand-off between the suspects and police. One gunman has also been killed.

Speaking at a press conference Mayor Jim Watson began by paying tribute to the soldier who was shot and killed outside the War Memorial.

"Today is a sad and tragic day of our city and our country" he said. "I extend my heartfelt condolences to the family of the soldier who lost his life standing guard at our war memorial."

"The hurts of your city and your neighbours are with you. There is no pain greater than losing a loved one. Our city Ottawa has seen and lived through tragedy in the past. Now we all want answers."

Police described the situation as "ongoing" and "fluid".

The Assistant Commissioner of police refuted reports that Canada had been warned of a possible terrorist assault, despite an earlier attack this week that was attributed to a Jihadist.

"It caught us by surprise. If we had known this was coming, we would have been able to disrupt it. What I can tell you is that a male suspect is deceased."

Senior government officials were on site at the time of the attack, including the Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who was addressing Cabinet at the time, fuelling suggestions that the assault on parliament was aimed at a specific target.

The Police commissioner said it was "way too early to determine that." He also refused to comment on the nationality of the suspect, who witnesses have said was dressed all in black, with a scarf concealing his face.

According to Reuters news agency, Prime Minister Mr Harper "is safe and has left Parliament Hill", his director of communications confirmed.

Spokesman Chuck Benoit confirmed that one suspected gunmen was dead, and added: "Two others were being sought for on land."

Parts of Canada's capital remain on lockdown as police hunt for suspects.

Police officials have warned the public to stay away from the downtown area and from roof tops and windows as they continue the hunt for two suspects.

"This is is a dynamic and unfolding event. We are committed to providing answers as soon as they are available. We can tell you that all available and necessary resources were activate immediately. They will remain here for as long as they are needed.

"It's imperative that communities are vigilant. We are continually assessing the information as we move forward in order to ensure we have what is necessary to do to keep our communities safe."

The attack on Ottawa's parliament came hours after Canada raised its terror threat level, after another soldier was killed on Monday in a hit-and-run attack by a Muslim convert.

The country earlier this month announced plans to join the US-led campaign of air strikes against Islamic State (IS) militants in Iraq.

As yet, there is no confirmation any of this week's attacks are linked to IS or the new military campaign.