Nathaniel Clyne
Southampton manager Ronald Koeman has admitted that he is not sure about right-back Nathaniel Clyne’s future plans.Getty

Southampton manager Ronald Koeman has admitted that he is not sure about right-back Nathaniel Clyne's future plans, but is hoping to find out following Wednesday's game against Crystal Palace, as the club have planned contract talks with the defender.

The Saints defender will enter the final year of his contract at the end of the current campaign and his performances for the club this season, has attracted interest from most of the big guns in the Premier League.

He also made his debut for the senior England team in November last year when the Three Lions faced Slovenia in a Euro 2016 qualifier.

The defender is said to be high on the list of priority signings of Manchester United and Liverpool, who are both looking for right-backs to replace Rafael and Glen Johnson respectively. But the Southampton manager is keen to hold on to one of his key players and hopes that Clyne will remain with the club beyond this season.

Clyne has played an important role in Southampton's phenomenal campaign that sees them challenging the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United for a place in next season's Champions League. Koeman identifies this as one of the reasons for the big clubs' interest in his player.

"The contact is between Les Reed [Southampton's executive director] and the agent and Clyne, but I think after Wednesday it's a good time to talk about that – of course, we like to know what his decision is about the future," Koeman said, as quoted by the Telegraph.

"I hope, but I can understand if there is any interest from other clubs. We don't have really a serious bid. It's not I think the most difficult position. Normally the left-back position is more difficult to find good players. But, even the right full-back position, there are not a lot who have played on the level as Clyne has been doing this season," the former Feyenoord manager added.