Samsung has started rolling out a new update for its first generation Galaxy Gear smartwatch that will upgrade the device to the Tizen operating system. The update comes with software version 18.104.22.168 for the Galaxy Gear with model number SM-V700.
The Tizen update brings features which were first introduced in the Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo, except the hardware dependent features such as the heart rate sensor.
Additionally, the Tizen software improves the performance as well as the battery life of the smartwatch. Among other notable features are the standalone music player (you can store music on the watch), customisable shortcuts for tap input and voice command in the camera.
Users can grab the update from the Samsung Kies server, or manually download it using the Odin flashing tool. Currently there is no information about the over the air update.
Upgrading the Galaxy Gear using Kies will wipe out all data of the watch. A warning screen will appear before the update begins to back up the data. Besides, the smartwatch needs to be paired with a smartphone or a tablet. Some third-party apps will not work after the update as those will be incompatible. Below are the firmware details for Tizen 22.214.171.124.
Model name: Galaxy Gear
Version: Tizen 126.96.36.199
Those who wish to manually update the Galaxy Gear to Tizen software 188.8.131.52, may follow our step-y-step guide below.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any mishap. Before flashing the stock firmware, users are advised to verify if their devices meet the following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy Gear to connect the Android device with the computer.
2) Navigate to Settings>> Gear Info and tap few times on Software version. Go back and enable USB Debugging mode on Galaxy Gear.
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe out all data of the watch, create a backup.
4) If the device powers off due to lack of battery while the installation process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Galaxy Gear should have charge above 80% battery charge.
5) The device will lose custom ROM with the installation of official firmware. Also, the custom recovery will be replaced by the stock version.
7) The device will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
8) Tizen 184.108.40.206official firmware works only with Samsung Galaxy Gear SM-V700.
How to install Tizen 220.127.116.11on Galaxy Gear SM-V700
Step-1: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using any extracting tool to get a .tar.md5 file with few other files, which are optional
Step-2: Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v.3.09.exe with few other files
Step-3: Switch off Galaxy Gear
Step-4: Place the device into Download Mode by pressing and holding Home, Power and Volume Down button together
Step-5: Run Odin as Administrator on the computer
Step-6: Connect the Galaxy Gear to computer using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device
Step-7: In Odin, click AP button and select the firmware file with .tar.md5 extension
Step-8: Enable Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes in Odin. Ensure Re-Partition checkbox is not checked
Step-9: Verify everything and click the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and take a few minutes to complete
Step-10: When the installation process is completed, the Galaxy Gear will restart automatically
Tizen 18.104.22.168 should now be installed on the Galaxy Gear. Navigate to Settings>> Gear info to verify the new software version.
Those who wish to root their Galaxy Gear may click here for a guide.