A seagull turned bright orange after falling into a container of spicy Indian curry. The bird fell into it while scavenging for a piece of meat at a food factory. It was saved by workers from an unidentified location in South East Wales and was taken up by a volunteer to the Vale Widlife hospital near Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire.

According to reports, staff at the centre used washing liquid to clean the bird and remove the orange colour from its feathers and managed to return it back to white, but ironically, could not wash away the aroma of the chicken tikka masala curry.

A veterinary nurse at the hospital, Lucy Kells, said: "He [the bird] really surprised everyone here - we had never seen anything like it before. He had fallen into a waste vat of curry that was outside, it was chicken tikka masala.

"The thing that shocked us the most was the smell. He smelled amazing, he really smelled good," she said.

The bird which was nick named Gullfrazie on Facebook, was uninjured and was placed in a cage after the incident. Staff said they were feeding him meat, dog or cat food and chopped pieces of fish.

seagulls
File photo: The bird was scavenging for a piece of meat when it fell into a container of chicken tikka masalaGetty Images

Kells was quoted by Independent as saying: "He is a bit skinny so we are building his strength up a bit. I guess that's why he was trying to get a piece of meat from the vat and fell in."

"Because he was uninjured by it, and we were able to get it off him, we are able to have a bit of a giggle," she added.