Sony has begun rolling out Android 4.4.2 KitKat software upgrade for its Xperia Z series handsets.
In March, Sony released Android 4.4.2 update for Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1 Compact and Xperia Z Ultra. Along with the release, Sony confirmed that similar software updates will be released for Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z in the middle of second quarter.
Last month, Sony changed the software update status for aforementioned Xperia Z series handsets with the next version of Android 4.4.2, which was expected to be released in May.
Now the Japanese mobile manufacturer has confirmed the availability of Android 4.4.2 for Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z starting today.
The update is now live in certain regions with more to follow over the next weeks. However, the timing and availability of the firmware might vary according to the market and carrier.
Besides, the company has confirmed that Android 4.4.2 will be available for Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia E1 and Xperia M2 (and dual variant) from July.
As for the features, the new Android KitKat update brings an improved performance as well as user interface optimisation. Sony has also updated the native apps to the latest version adding several tweaks and enhancements.
Besides, those who are having PlayStation 4 will get new UI. Sony has added the sleek launch animation and live wallpapers across the lock and home screen. Users will also get a revamped Status Bar and Quick Settings. Below is official changelog by Sony for Android 4.4.2 KitKat update.
- Google's Android 4.4; KitKat as standard – bringing improved performance & user interface (UI) optimisation...
- If you've got a Sony PlayStation 4, you might recognize our new user interface – we've added the same sleek launch animation and live wallpaper across the lock and home screens. You'll also spot a revamped Status Bar and Quick Settings... now more intuitive and customisable (also with a fresh new look)... cleaned up to ensure you only get the notifications you really need
- As you might expect, we're also uplifting Sony's entire native app portfolio to the latest versions bringing tweaked / improved / current experiences for one and all... some of our favourites look like:
- Messaging – a few UI adjustments here & there, including a slicker "send" animation, and deeper Emoji support for some expressive fun... also worth noting, you'll find smileys wherever there's an app with a keyboard :) :)
- Email – you'll be able to both load and see more mails... but don't fret, navigation of said load is easier with a more responsive viewing pane – split screen modes divide info for easy digest... especially useful / works a treat on Xperia Tablet Z
- Smart Social Camera – our social imaging experience makes its debut on our first Z Series devices; a selection of Xperia Camera apps directly accessible from your viewfinder... including personal favourite "Creative Effect", and more for download to boot!
- Battery STAMINA Mode - level-upping our unique power management feature, bringing smarter data management & more for prolonging your juice
- Sony's Media apps: WALKMAN, Album and Movies, with Sony Entertainment Network cloud service integration – a more converged and full Sony entertainment experience – Sony Entertainment Network & PlayMemories integration with a more intuitive UI, better download speeds, and more...
- And proving pretty popular, now totaling over 2 million downloads (!) – our unique custom interface experience: "Xperia Themes", with downloadable UI packs from Sony Select – skin up to 280 assets across your Xperia smartphone with a variety of styles...
- Compatibility with our SmartWear Experience; SmartBand SWR10 and Lifelog app – enabling you to record social, physical and entertainment activities and have them all visualised in a beautiful interface... reminisce at that past, make the best of the present and plan for the future
Meanwhile Sony has updated the software support page for Xperia Z, which suggests Android 4.4.2 KitKat with build number 10.5.A.0.230 started rolling out for Xperia Z from 21 May. To check the update availability on the Xperia Z head over to Settings>> About phone>> Software updates>> System updates. Note that the device should have a stable Wi-Fi connection in order to avoid data traffic.
As the support page suggests the Android 4.4.2 update brings a number of notable changes for Xperia Z, which are as follows.
Included in this software
This upgrade for your Xperi smartphone includes many improvements, such as:
Android 4.4.2 KitKat with many new features and enhancements
Many camera enhancements including Creative Effect video
Personalise your messages now with colourful emojis
Take screenshots easily with the built-in screenshot menu
The latest updates to many apps including email, calendar and more...
Xperiablog has managed to get the FTF firmware files for Android 4.4.2 (10.5.A.0.230) KitKat for Xperia Z bearing model number C6603. Below are the FTF download links.