Microsoft has released a new firmware for the Surface Pro 3 tablet - its second system firmware update in a month after the company pushed out one on 15 September. It would be worthwhile to note that these updates roll out in phases, so they may not be available for all users at the same time. Marked as "System Firmware Update – 9/29/2015", the new release brings a host of improvements that enhance system stability and reliability.
On updating the Surface device with the new firmware, you should be able to notice the following changes:
- Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware update (v3.9.650.0) improves booting time experience and enhances the system reliability while docked.
- Wireless Network Controller and Bluetooth driver update (v15.68.9030.41) improves the wireless network connectivity and stability.
- Surface Integration driver update (v2.0.1209.0) ensures when using a custom power plan that the selected plan will not revert to the default balanced power plan when installing a Windows Update.
- Microsoft Docking Station Audio Device driver update (v220.127.116.11) improves audio experience when no external speakers are connected to a Surface Pro 3 Docking Station so that Surface Pro 3 internal speakers are used.
- Management Engine Interface driver update (v18.104.22.1687) improves system stability.
To check the update manually, go to Stat menu then Settings>> Update & Security>> Windows Update>> Check for updates. If the update is available for you, it will install automatically and once they have installed, restart your Surface tablet. Note that once the new firmware is installed, you will not be able to uninstall it or revert to the earlier version.