Borussia Dortmund midfielder Sebastian Rode says he rejected an offer from Tottenham Hotspur before completing his move to the Westfalenstadion.
Rode, 25, became Dortmund's fourth signing of the summer transfer window after joining the club from Bayern Munich on Monday 6 June for an undisclosed fee.
The combative midfielder had been keen on a move in order to secure more first-team opportunities, having made just 17 appearances under Pep Guardiola at Bayern last season. While he admits he considered a move to White Hart Lane, the opportunity to sign for his boyhood club and play under manager Thomas Tuchel was too good to turn down.
When asked about an offer from Tottenham, Rode told Bild: "Yes, that is true. And I listened to it, but again, the transfer to BVB was a matter of the heart,
"I've known Tuchel since he was a youth coach at Mainz back when I still played for Offenbacher Kickers [Rode's first club]. I had a very, very convincing talk with Tuchel before my signature. My decision that it can only be Dortmund was certain after that."
Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino is keen to strengthen his side after last season's Premier League title charge fell short. While the club's attempts to bring Rode to north London indicates the Argentine is keen on midfield reinforcements, he has previously stressed another striker is a high priority for the club.
Pochettino confirmed in late April Marseille striker Michy Batshuayi is one such players the club was considering this summer. However, recent reports would suggest Spurs have shifted their attentions to AZ Alkmaar's Vincent Janssen.
Janssen, 21, finished as the Eredivisie's top scorer last season and according to Sky Sports, the striker has travelled to London to hold talks with Tottenham officials. AZ are reportedly asking for a fee of £12m for the player.