The Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G is one of the few smartphones to receive regular custom ROM Jelly Bean updates in recent times. The latest version, AOKP build 4 based Android 4.1.1 update, has come to a spate of Galaxy smartphones including the Galaxy S3 I9300, S2 I9100 and S I9000.
As the developer notes, the latest build of AOKP is probably the most stable AOSP-based custom ROM Jelly Bean update for I9100G. It is necessary that your phone is rooted and ClockworkMod recovery is installed on it to support the installation of this ROM.
AOKP Build 4 Based Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean Features
- Custom NavBar Ring on tablets
- Force dual panel view on any device
- Flip or shake your device to snooze/dismiss the alarm (check alarm settings)
- Take screenshot from NavBar
- Enabled USB mass storage emulation for certain devices (i9*)
Key Points to Note
- The AOKP Build 4 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are compatible only with the international version Galaxy S2 I9100G model and will not work with any other model. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About phone.
- Perform a Dalvik Cache wipe before continuing from the recovery mode.
- Samsung KIES will not recognize your device after installing the AOKP build 4 based Jelly Bean update, as it is a custom ROM.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of installing the AOKP based Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Verify that you have installed the correct USB drivers for your Galaxy S2 to enable connectivity with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G USB drivers.
- Enable USB debugging mode, which helps in connecting your Android phone with the computer.
- Ensure that your phone's battery is fully charged or holds at least 85 percent charge to avoid unexpected device shutdown while flashing the ROM or installing the Jelly Bean update.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup apps, important personal data and settings to avoid data loss while flashing the AOKP build 4 based firmware update.
- Make sure that your Galaxy S3 is factory unlocked and rooted. Also, verify if ClockworkMod recovery is installed on it before proceeding with the ROM installation procedure.
How to Install AOKP Build 4 ROM Based Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy S2 I9100G
Step 1 - Download AOKP Build 4 Based Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update for I9100G and Google Apps on your computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount your Galaxy S2 USB mass storage on your computer with an USB cable.
Step 3 - Copy the downloaded Android 4.1.1 ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on your SD card.
Step 4 - Power off your phone and unplug the USB cable from the computer.
Step 5 - Power on the phone and boot into recovery mode through a button sequence. Press and hold the Volume Up, Menu and Power buttons together until the phone boots into recovery mode.
Step 6 - In CWM recovery, do a full data wipe first. Then browse and select flash zip from SD card option and hit the power button to select it.
Step 7 - Tap the power button again and click choose zip from sdcard.
Step 8 - Use volume keys to navigate to the Android 4.1.1 ROM ZIP file that you copied to your SD card and select it by pressing the power button. Confirm the ROM installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should begin.
NOTE: Repeat the same step for installing Google Apps.
Step 9 - After the ROM is installed, hit Go Back and tap reboot system now option from the recovery menu. The phone will reboot now and the first boot may take about 5 minutes. So, leave it alone.
AOKP build 4 ROM based Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update is now successfully installed on your Galaxy S2. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]