We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
Samsung has started rolling out the latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware with build number I9300XXUGNA7 to the international variant of Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300) in several countries, starting with United Arab Emirates.
As the new firmware is being rolled out in phases, it may not yet be available via Over-The-Air (OTA) update or Samsung KIES in your region. Those who missed the OTA update notification or cannot wait for the official firmware release in their country can download and install the same manually, using our step-by-step guide given below.
Samsung has for long been delaying further updates after the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update for Galaxy S3. However, the release of Android 4.3 I9300XXUGNA7 firmware will change the fate of S3 users, as it brings a host of new features, bug-fixes and enhancements to the flagship series phone.
Android 4.3 I9300XXUGNA7 Firmware Details
Version: Android 4.3
Build date: Jan 21, 2014
Regions Supported: United Arab Emirates, Afghanistan, Algeria, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Kenya, Libya, Morocco, Nigeria, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Tunisia, Turkey
Some of the noteworthy features and changes ported into the new Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware are listed below:
- Galaxy S4 like lockscreen
- Multi-pages feature on lockscreen
- Support widget on lockscreen
- Tabbed UI in Settings
- Daydream feature
- Voice control feature for apps like phone
- Camera, music player and so on
- Hands-free Mode
- New Notification Panel with 2 pages
- ANT+ support
- TRIM support
- Camera Improvements
- Move apps to SD feature
- New Samsung keyboard
- Changed icons for some Samsung apps
- Smoother TouchWiz
- Adapt display
- Adapt sound
- New S-Voice from Galaxy S4
- Full screen mode in Samsung apps and more
Interested Galaxy S3 I9300 users can go ahead and install I9300XXUGNA7 firmware on their phones by following our step-by-step guide provided below. IBTimes UK reminds ,its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
1. Install necessary USB Drivers for Galaxy S3 I9300 on the computer.
2. USB Debugging Mode should be enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings >> Developer Options.
3. Back up your important data to avoid potential data loss during firmware installation.
4. Ensure the phone is factory unlocked (not locked to any specific carrier).
5. Verify Galaxy S4 LTE has at least 80 percent battery charge.
6. The I9300XXUGNA7 Android 4.3 firmware is compatible with Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 only. Do not attempt installing it on incorrect variants as it may brick the device. Verify the model number of the Galaxy S3 by navigating to Settings >> About Phone.
Steps to Update Galaxy S3 with Android 4.3 I9300XXUGNA7 Jelly Bean Firmware
Step 1: Extract Android 4.3 I9300XXUGNA7 firmware zip file via WinRAR/7-Zip or WinZip to obtain a .tar.md5 file and some other optional files.
Step 2: Next Odin zip file should be extracted to get Odin3 v3.07.exe along with few other files.
Step 3: Power off the Galaxy S3 and boot the device into Download Mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until a construction Android robot icon with a warning triangle appears on screen. Then keep tapping Volume Up button to progress into Download Mode.
Step 5: Launch Odin on computer as an Administrator.
Step 6: Now connect Galaxy S3 to computer with USB cable in Download Mode. When Odin detects the device and a pop-up message reading "Added!" appears on screen, the ID: COM box will turn light blue with the COM port number.
Note: If the Added message fails to appear, then try re-installing USB drivers or changing the port on computer.
Step 7: Select the following files in Odin from extracted I9300XXUGNA7 firmware folder:
- Tap PDA button and choose the .tar.md5 file.
- Hit Phone button and select the file named MODEM.
- Tap CSC button and choose the file named CSC.
- Click PIT button and choose the .pit file.
NOTE: Ignore the last three files (MODEM, CSC and .pit) if they are not found.
Step 8: In Odin, select Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. But, the Re-Partition option must be checked only if you used the .pit file in previous step.
Step 9: After ensuring that Step 7 and Step 8 are done correctly, hit the Start button in Odin to begin installing the firmware.
Step 10: After the firmware is installed, a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the top of Odin. Galaxy S3 will then reboot to the Home screen. It is now safe to disconnect the USB cable and remove the phone from computer.
Galaxy S3 I9300 is now running I9300XXUGNA7 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware. Head over to Settings >> About Phone to verify the firmware installed on the device.
Troubleshooting: If Galaxy S3 I9300 is stuck at boot animation after Step 10 then boot into recovery mode (press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together) and perform Wipe data/Factory Reset and Wipe Cache Partition task before choosing Reboot System Now option.
Note: In recovery mode use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select the option. Please note that performing data wipe task will erase your device's internal memory and not external SD card data.
[Source: Honai of Android]