Samsung has confirmed it will not offer Android 4.4.2 KitKat upgrade for Galaxy S3 and S3 Mini 3G versions as both the devices equipped with 1GB RAM are not capable of running the latest Android version.
But the Galaxy S3 can still be upgraded to Android 4.4.2 via custom builds. Recently, the Galaxy S3 with model number GT-I9300 received a new custom firmware named Fusion Boeffla featuring Android 4.4.2 KitKat, released by XDA senior member, Dragon7780.
The Fusion Boeffla ROM is based on CyanogenMod with features from several popular custom ROM such as AOKP, SlimROMs, OmniROM, ParanoidAndroid, ChameleonOS and many more. The Fusion Boeffla ROM brings a great deal of customisations and tweaks. Below are the features from the latest build.
Fusion Boeffla ROM features
- Recents Rambar
- Navigationbar by slimroms
- AppSidebar (Chaos)
- Networks Traffic meter (Chaos)
- TRDS 3.0 (Awesome Thanks SLIM)
- AOKP Weather
- MediaScanner behavior on boot
- Show CPU Info
- Show Clear all button + location
- Low battery warning
- Less frequent notification sounds
- Screen on notification
- Lockscreen by slimroms
- Power Menu by slimroms
- Keyboard: Auto keyboard rotation
- Customizable PowerWidget (Thnx to DerTeufel)
- CRT Animations
- AOKP Custom system animations
- Listview animations
- Keyboard animations
- Scroll animations
- Smooth Progressbar animations
- Gesture anywhere (Chaos)
- Identicons (Chaos)
- Wakelock Blocker
- Suspend actions
- Build.prop modder
- Init.d configurator
- Double tab to sleep gesture on statusbar
- Gesture Lockscreen (Chaos)
- Flip animation on clicking a qs tile
- Keyboard: Volume key cursor control
- QuietHours AutoSMS && Bypass Alarm
- Notification drawer shorcuts
- Notification drawer and qs background transparency
- Advanced display
- Contextual notification panel header (Omni)
- Center clock and more (Slim)
- Screen-On notification light
- Keyboard: Option to disable fullscreen keyboard
- Statusbar brightness slider
- Option to disable qs by removing all tiles
- Option to choose custom lockscreen handle
- Quiet Hours Ringer
- Double tap to sleep features
- Active display (Chaos)
- Lockscreen notifications
Head over to the development thread to know more about the Android 4.4.2 Fusion Boeffla ROM.
Interested users, who wish to update Galaxy S3 to Android 4.4.2 using Fusion Boeffla ROM, may follow our step-by-step guide.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. Before following the installation guide, users are advised to verify their devices meet the following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Galaxy S3 to transfer files between the Android device and the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> About phone. Tap on Build Number several times until a message appears saying 'You are now a Developer.' Now enable USB Debugging Mode by navigating to Settings>> Developer Options.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all the data of the phone, create a back up. If the device has any custom recovery such as ClockworkMod or TWRP then back up data using the same.
4) If the Android phone powers off due to lack of battery during the process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Galaxy S3 should have above 80% battery charge.
5) The phone should be rooted and have the latest version of ClockworkMod recovery. [Click here for our guide to root Galaxy S3.]
6) Android 4.4.2 KitKat Fusion Boeffla ROM works only with Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300. As applying this to any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Galaxy S3 by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
7) After flashing the ROM if the device gets stuck on Booting animation or experience boot loop then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache for a few times before rebooting the device.
8) Once the ROM is installed, users are advised to give 10 minutes to the ROM after the device boots up for the first time for better user experience.
How to install Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Galaxy S3 I9300 with Fusion Boeffla ROM
Step-1: Connect and mount Galaxy S3 USB memory on the computer using USB cable. Now copy the downloaded zip files to the SD card of the phone. Ensure the files are in the SD card root, not in any folder
Step-2: Unplug the USB cable from the phone and switch it off
Step-3: Place the phone into CWM recovery mode. To do so, switch on the phone while pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together
Step-4: In recovery mode, perform a full data wipe by selecting wipe data/ factory reset. Use the Power button to select while in Recovery Mode
Step-5: Perform a cache wipe by selecting wipe cache partition
Step-6: Perform a wipe of dalvik cache. This is optional but users are recommended to do this, so that the device will not get into boot loops or any other errors. From CWM recovery, go to advanced then select wipe dalvik cache
Step-7: Return to the main recovery menu and select install zip from sdcard
Step-8: Select choose zip from sdcard. Using the Volume keys navigate to Android 4.4.2 ROM zip, which was earlier copied to the Phone's SD card. Select it using the Power button and confirm installation on the next screen
Step-9: After the ROM is installed, repeat the similar procedure to install Gapps file on the phone
Step-10: When the installation process is completed, return to the custom recovery screen and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now.
The Galaxy S3 will boot now. It may take about five minutes to boot for the first time
When the Galaxy S3 boots up successfully it should be running Fusion Boeffla ROM Android 4.4.2 ROM. Head over to Settings>> About phone to verify the new software version of the device.
[Source: Team Android]