Like the HTC One M8, the latest version of SkyDragon Google Play Edition (GPE) ROM is available for its predecessor, One M7 as well, which is yet to receive the stock Android Lollipop update.
Based on Android 5.0.1 Lollipop and base firmware 5.11.1700.3, the SkyDragon GPE ROM supports all the models of HTC One M7 such as international, Developer, AT&T and T-Mobile US version.
The custom firmware, released by XDA developer HolyAngel, is claimed to be fast, smooth and brings improved battery life. Additionally, users will not have to root the One M7 after installing the ROM, as it is already rooted with SuperSU and even have the stock kernel rooted.
SkyDragon Google Play Edition ROM
- Android version: Lollipop 5.0.1
- Firmware base: 5.11.1700.3
- ROM Version: SD GPE v6.0.0
- Built from my own 100% stock and clean base
- Init.d support
- Busybox support
- Rooted with SuperSU
- Zip-aligned on boot
- SQLite optimisation on boot
- Build.prop tweaks
- System R/W
- Stock kernel rooted
- Aroma installer
- DEODEX & ART still works
- Online Nandroid backup
SkyDragon Google Play Edition ROM v6.0.0 changelog
- Rebased to Android Lollipop 5.0.1
- Added ElementalX Kernel option
- Ported M8 Aroma and scripts
- Added Sense camera Option (No Zoe)
- Added Sense Gallery Option
- New init.d scripts
If you want to experience Android Lollipop on your HTC One M7 with SkyDragon Google Play Edition ROM, head over to the following installation guide.
- The bootloader of HTC One M7 (GSM) should be unlocked and S-Off.
- The phone should be rooted and have the latest custom recovery (CWM, TWRP or, PhilZ) installed.
- The Android devices should have above 80% of battery charge.
- Create a Nandroid backup in recovery, which will help restore the current set up if the Lollipop ROM does not work.
- SkyDragon Google Play Edition ROM v6.0.0 works only with HTC One M7. Installing this on any other variant might brick the device.
- As the custom ROM is under development phases, the device might get bug issues with the installation of the custom firmware.
- IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any mishap with the device and that the installation will be at your risk.
How to install Android 5.0.1 Lollipop on HTC One M7 with SkyDragon Google Play Edition ROM
Step-1: Download SkyDragon Google Play Edition ROM for HTC One M7 on your PC
Download link: SkyDragon+GPE501+M7+V6.0.0.zip
Step-2: Connect your One M7 to the PC using USB cable and move the download file to the internal storage of the phone and remember the location
Step-3: Disconnect the phone from the computer and boot it into bootloader mode. For this hold Power and Volume Down button if the phone is powered off, or, press Power and Volume Up buttons if it is on, then as soon as the screen goes black switch from Volume Up to Volume Down
Step-4: Enter Recovery mode and click wipe data/factory reset and choose Clean to Install a New ROM (which includes wipe system/data/cache/dalvik)
Step-5: Once the process is completed, return to recovery menu and select Install Zip >> Choose zip from sdcard, and browse to the location where SkyDragon Android 5.0.1 ROM is saved. Select it and confirm installation
Step-6: Go through the steps that Aroma installer gives
Step-7: When the installation process is completed, reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now
Your HTC One M7 should now be updated with SkyDragon GPE ROM featuring Android 5.0.1. Navigate to Settings>> About phone to check the latest Android version of the phone.