XDA developer, HolyAngel has released an update to his SkyDragon Google Play Edition ROM to version 4.2.1, which is based on stock Android 5.0.1 update, base firmware 3.11.1700.2 and updated to kernel version 3.0.4.
The custom version brings a 100% stock experience and several other customisations. The ROM is already rooted with SuperSU and adds fixes for some issues of the previous version. Additionally, the ROM enhances performance and improves battery life. Following are the changes noted in the new SkyDragon ROM.
SkyDragon ROM info
- Android Version: L - 5.0.1 Official
- Firmware base: 3.11.1700.2
- ROM Version: SD GPE v4.2.1
- Built from %100 stock and clean base
- Init.d Built-in
- Busybox Built-in
- Rooted with SuperSU
- Zip-aligned on boot
- SQLite optimization on boot
- Build.prop tweaks
- System R/W
- Stock Kernel Rooted
- Aroma Installer
- Optional GPS Location Selection
- Optional Apps
- GAPP Removal
- Font Selection
- Updated HTC Gallery to latest
- Updated skydragon kernel to 3.0.4
- Update High Performance Sound
- Added Lyapota's Modpack v006
- Fixed SDCard write permission
- Updated aroma for all the things
- Added fixed up Housekeeping script
- Tweaked 96Tweaks script for screen mirroring
SkyDragon Google Play Edition ROM version 4.2.1 is available for HTC One M8, so if you want to taste the latest Android Lollipop version using the custom build, follow the below installation guide.
- The bootloader of HTC One M8 (GSM) should be unlocked. (S-On is fine)
- The phone should be rooted and have latest custom recovery installed. Philz recovery 6.25.x is recommended. Do not use 6.41.x+.
- The Android devices should have above 80% battery charge.
- Create a Nandroid backup in recovery, which will help restoring the current set up if the Lollipop ROM does not work.
- SkyDragon Google Play Edition ROM v4.2.1 works only with HTC One M8 GSM. Installing this on any other variant might brick the device.
- As the custom ROM is going through development phases, bugs may be noticed.
- IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any damage to the device.
How to install Android 5.0.1 on HTC One M8 using SkyDragon Google Play Edition ROM v4.2.1
Step 1: Download SkyDragon Google Play Edition ROM v4.2.1 for HTC One M8 on your PC
File name: SkyDragon+GPE501+V4.2.1.zip
Step 2: Connect the One M8 to the PC using USB cable and move the download file to the external SD card of the phone
Step 3: Boot the phone into bootloader mode. For this hold Power and Volume Down button if the phone is powered off, or, press Power and Volume Up button buttons if it is on, then as soon as the screen goes black switch from Volume Up to Volume Down
Step 4: Enter Recovery mode and click wipe data/factory reset and choose Clean to Install a New ROM (which includes wipe system/data/cache/dalvik)
Step 5: Once the process is complete, return to recovery menu and select Install Zip >> Choose zip from sdcard, and browse to the location where you have saved SkyDragon ROM based on Android 5.0.1. Select it and confirm installation
Step 6: Go through the steps that Aroma installer provides
Step 7: When the installation process is complete, reboot the phone
Step 8: Select No to install recovery prompt if given
Step 9: Follow setup wizard
Your HTC One M8 should now be updated with the SkyDragon v4.2.1, featuring stock Android 5.0.1 firmware.