Having been available as beta versions through BlackBerry Beta Zone for quite some time, an official version of the cross-platform smartphone messenger has now been released with the eagerly anticipated voice calling functionality for BlackBerry 10 devices.
Apart from the voice call, which lets you call other WhatsApp user through the app for free, the new version 184.108.40.206 adds a few changes while addressing bug issues. Note that WhatsApp calls use the internet connection of the phone, rather than the cellular plan's voice service.
WhatsApp version 220.127.116.11
- WhatsApp Calling: Call your friends and family using WhatsApp for free, even if they're in another country. WhatsApp calls use your phone's Internet connection rather than your cellular plan's voice minutes. Data charges may apply.
- You can now instantly search for individual messages, chats and contacts just by tapping the search action from the chats list. (Note: It may take a few days before this feature is available to you.)
- Improved font scaling to better match the system display font size setting.n• Font and highlighting updates to better match the system style on OS 10.3
- Improved support for focus and navigation on the BlackBerry Classic
- Location messages now show a larger map preview
- Added "Add to Contacts" context actions to the chats list (for chats with unknown contacts) and to the group info screen (for unknown group participants)
- Added custom ringtone selection for incoming WhatsApp calls (Settings, Notification Settings, Call notifications)
- Added year/month subdirectories for received pictures, and WhatsApp-specific subdirectories for received audio and video
- Added counts to the Favs/Groups/Contacts tabs when pulling down the list past the beginning
- Miscellaneous fixes and updates
Download WhatsApp v18.104.22.168 from BlackBerry World to get started with the calling feature. Keep in mind if you are beta user, you will have to delete the current beta to download the official app.