We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
Not too long after WhatsApp calling was released for Android users, the functionality is now officially available for iPhone.
Following a series of leaks, a new version of WhatsApp 2.12.1 with calling feature is now rolling out 'slowly' and will continue for the next few weeks to reach all regions across the globe. Therefore, don't expect the update to become available in all regions at present.
The calling feature allows you to call your friends and family for free using iPhone's internet connection (3G or Wi-Fi when available) rather than the cellular plan's voice service. Apart from the calling feature, version 2.12.1 adds a few more noteworthy changes such as the following.
What is new in version 2.12.1
- WhatsApp Calling: Call your friends and family using WhatsApp for free, even if they're in another country. WhatsApp calls use your phone's Internet connection rather than your cellular plan's voice minutes. Data charges may apply. Note: WhatsApp Calling is rolling out slowly over the next several weeks.
- iOS 8 share extension: Share photos, videos, and links right to WhatsApp from other apps.
- Quick camera button in chats: Now you can capture photos and videos, or quickly choose a recent camera roll photo or video.
- Edit your contacts right from WhatsApp.
- Send multiple videos at once and crop and rotate videos before sending them.
Head over to the App Store to get WhatsApp calling feature on your iPhone.
- Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. This app is optimised for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
- Free app
- Category: Social networking
- Updated: 21 April 2015
- Version: 2.12.1
- Size: 56.9 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bokmål, Norwegian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese