XXMG2 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware has been recently released for the international version of Galaxy Ace 2 with model number GT-I8160. The update is live through Samsung Kies. Also, it can be installed manually on the phone using Odin flashing tool.
Version: Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
Build date: September, 2013
Region: Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain and United Kingdom
Galaxy Ace 2 users, who failed to update their devices using the official method, may follow our step-by-step guide to install the latest official build manually. As the XXMG2 is an unbranded version of firmware, it can be installed on any unlocked I8160 unit irrespective of region and country.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Before installing the official firmware, users are advised to verify that their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 to connect the Android device with the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and then check the USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP already installed then backup data using the recovery.
4) The Galaxy Ace 2 should have charge above 80% battery charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The phone will lose custom ROM with the installation of official firmware. Additionally, the custom recovery such as ClockworkMod/TWRP will be replaced by stock recovery.
7) The device will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
8) XXMG2 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware works only on Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 GT-I8160. As flashing this on any other variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Galaxy S3 by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
Steps to install XXMG2 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean for Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 GT-I8160
Step-1: Download XXMG2 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean for Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 to computer
Step-2: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using winrar/7zip/winzip or any other extracting tool to get a .tar.md5 file with few other files
Step-3: Download Odin v3.07. Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v3.07.exe and some other files
Step-4: Switch off Galaxy Ace and wait for five to six seconds for the vibration to confirm complete power off
Step-5: Boot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until the downloading appears on the screen
Step-6: Run Odin3 v3.07.exe as Administrator [To do so right click on Odin.exe file then click on Run as administrator from context menu.]
Step-7: Connect the phone to computer using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully an Added message will appear under Odin. Also, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn blue with the COM port number, indicating successful connection
Note: If the Added message does not come then try another USB port, try the one located at the back side of the computer. If Odin still fails to recognise the device then re-install USB driver.
Step-8: Select these files extracted from I8160XXMG2 to install on the phone
a) Click the PDA button and select the .tar.md5 file
b) Click the Phone button and select file with MODEM in its name
c) Click the CSC button and select file with CSC in its name
d) Click the PIT button and select the .pit file
Note: Ignore the last three steps (step-b, c and d) if such files do not exist.
Step-9: Ensure Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected in Odin window. But uncheck Re-Partition option; select it only when a .pit file is being used
Step-10: Click the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and would take about few minutes to complete
Step-11: When the installation process is completed, the phone will reboot automatically. Unplug the USB cable from phone when the home screen appears
XXMG2 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean official firmware should be installed and running on Galaxy Ace 2. Head over to Settings>> About phone to verify the new software version running on the device.
[Source: Team Android]