Samsung is in the process of delivering Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) updates to its range of Galaxy tablets and two more have now joined that list, according to SamMobile. These are the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus Wi-Fi and the Galaxy Tab 7.7 Wi-Fi.
The update for the Tab 7.0 (model number P6210) and Tab 7.7 (model number P6810) is specifically for UK users only and will be available both as an Over the Air (OTA) update and through Samsung Kies. Firmware XXLPL Android 4.0.4 is for the Tab 7.0 and XXLPK Android 4.0.4 is for the Tab 7.7. Both the Tab 7.0 and the Tab 7.7 were launched with Android 3.2 (Honeycomb).
We understand the next tablets to get an ICS update will be the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus Wi-Fi + 3G, the Tab 7.7 Wi-Fi + 3G and the Wi-Fi only and Wi-Fi + 3G versions of the Tab 8.9 and Tab 10.1.
If you would rather not wait for region-wise OTA updates, check out the following steps to get a sneak peak of Android 4.0.4.
IBTimes UK recommends all users create back-ups of important data. We further recommend these updates only compatible with model numbers P6210 and P6810.
Note: Installation procedures are same for both tablets.
Android 4.0.4 ICS Installation Steps for Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus Wi-Fi and Galaxy Tab 7.7 Wi-Fi
- Download latest firmware from here (P6210XXLPL/P6810XXLPK) and make sure model numbers and firmware files match and extract tar.md5
- Download Odin - Odin3-v1.85.zip - extract, run and start programme
- Turn off tablet and switch to Download Mode (simultaneously press Power and Volume Down buttons)
- Connect tablet to computer
- Select PDA in Odin (after programme recognises device) and select tar.md5
- Click Start to install firmware. The tablet will automatically reboot on successful installation
Congratulations... the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus Wi-Fi/7.7 Wi-Fi is running the latest version of Android 4.0.4.