After Sony made official its intention to seed the highly anticipated Android 5.0 (Lollipop) OS update to the Xperia Z series, and after seeding the firmware upgrade to multiple newer Xperia Z smartphones, the Japan-based company will very shortly seed the update to the older Xperia Z soon.
According to a post in the official Xperia blog, that has a screenshot of Android 5.0.2 (Lollipop), users of the original Xperia Z (bearing model number C6603) can check out for the OS update via the over-the-air (OTA) mechanism.
The surfaced screenshot purportedly of Android 5.0.2 is an indicator about the rollout of the firmware upgrade looming imminent.
Take a look at the screenshot below.
Going by the screenshot, it is evident that the Android 5.0.2 update bears build number 10.6.A.0; hence owners of Xperia Z are advised to check their devices regularly for newer OTA notifications that could very well represent Android 5.0.
Prominent enhancements brought along by Android Lollipop, for the original Sony Xperia Z smartphones:
- Material Design: A colourful and responsive UI design for consistent, intuitive experiences across devices.
- Notifications: View and respond to messages directly from your lock screen. Includes the ability to hide sensitive content for these notifications.
- Battery Saver feature: The new feature extends the device's battery life by up to 90 minutes.
- Enhanced security: Android Smart Lock can secure your phone or tablet by pairing it with a trusted device like your wearable or your car.
- Device Sharing: Multiple users for phones.
- New Quick Settings: Enables users to get to the most frequently used settings with just two swipes at the top of the screen.
- Connectivity: Improved network handoffs resulting in limited interruption in connectivity.
- Android TV: Support for television.
- OK Google: Talk to Google on the go to get quick answers, send a text, and get directions and more.