If you are a user of the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy Note Edge having subscribed to US Cellular's wireless network services, then do check your devices for the Google Android Lollipop OS update, which is now on an active roll-out in the US.
According to an official US Cellular listing, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 users should notice the Android 5.0.1 (Lollipop) firmware upgrade bearing baseband version number N910R4TYU1BOC4, while Galaxy Note Edge users would notice the Android 5.0.1 update with baseband version number N915R4TYU1BOC5.
The latest roll-out is expected to take place in a phased manner and it may take sometime before all US Cellular-driven Galaxy Note 4 and Note Edge devices get the update.
Previously, both the smartphones ran the Android 4.4.4 (KitKat) operating platform out of the box.
What's new with Lollipop?
- Material Design: Material design offers fluid animations, vivid coloured themes and 3D-views.
- Improved Lockscreen: Shortcuts for both Phone and Camera are provided, along with material design-inspired notifications.
- Touchwiz: Brighter look and feel, bold colours, fluid animation inspired by material design.
- Floating Action Button: Floating action buttons provide easy access to the app's most important features, such as adding a new contact or favourite, or composing a text message.
- Smart Lock: Secure smartphone by pairing it with a trusted device like a wearable or car.
- Interruptions: Priority notifications such as events and reminders, phone calls, and messages can be set up to sound or vibrate while all other notifications are muted.
- Recents: Easy access to your Chrome tabs right from the Recent apps page. Multi-window icons for ease of use during multi-tasking.
- Activation of 'OK Google' voice command: With OK Google, it is possible to issue voice commands to Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy Edge smartphones.
- Battery saving features: Indicates remaining time left to charge.
The Android Lollipop firmware upgrade will be available automatically via an OTA notification, but users can also check for it manually by following the steps below:
- From the home screen of your devices, tap the Menu Key > Settings > About Phone > Software updates > Check for updates
- Select Download Now
- When download is complete, a screen will appear informing you that the new version of software is ready to be installed. Select Install Now
- The device will power down and power back on. A screen will appear indicating that the installation has been completed. Tap OK
To download Android 5.0.1 using Samsung Kies users need to follow the steps below:
- Download Samsung Kies
- Connect your device to a computer using the USB cable. Firmware upgrades are available only when you connect your device via USB
- Launch Samsung Kies. When a new version of the firmware is available, you will see a notification on the Basic information tab
- Click Firmware upgrade to start the upgrade process
- Follow the on-screen prompts.