Users of Samsung Galaxy Note 4 in the US who have subscribed to AT&T's wireless network service have plenty to cheer about as the highly anticipated Google Android 5.0 (Lollipop) OS update is confirmed to hit the high-end smartphone.
According to an AutooMobile report that quotes AT&T, the Android Lollipop OS update is confirmed to roll out for Samsung Galaxy Note 4 devices, but in phases.
The AutooMobile report also states that the first batch of Galaxy Note 4 handsets to start receiving the update will be those bearing model number SM-N910A.
Hence AT&T Galaxy Note 4 users in the US can check their handsets for newer over-the-air (OTA) notifications representing Android Lollipop OS update.
Prior to the above reported announcement, Sprint was the only wireless service provider (in the US) to have released Lollipop, for its Galaxy Note 4 users.
What's new within Android Lollipop
Currently, AT&T is yet to make public the official changelog of the new functionality that is applicable to Samsung Galaxy Note 4 smartphones, but it is widely believed that Android Lollipop will offer the HD Calling compatibility (to Galaxy Note 4 users) in specific regions of the US.
Conventionally, Google's Android Lollipop OS update brings with it the following enhancements:
- Material Design: Material design offers fluid animations, vivid coloured themes and 3D-Views.
- Improved Lockscreen: Shortcuts for both Phone and Camera are provided, along with Material Design-inspired notifications.
- Touchwiz: Brighter look and feel, bold colours, fluid animation inspired by Material Design.
- Floating Action Button: Floating action buttons provide easy access to the app's most important features, such as adding a new contact or favourite, or composing a text message.
- Interruptions: Priority notifications such as events and reminders, phone calls, and messages can be set up to sound or vibrate while all other notifications are muted.
- Recents: Easy access to your Chrome tabs right from the Recent apps page. Multi-window icons for ease of use during multi-tasking.
AT&T-driven Samsung Galaxy Note 4 users should notice Android Lollipop very shortly, via OTA, but the firmware can also be searched for manually, downloaded and installed.
How to manually search, download and install Android Lollipop OS update
- From the home screen, select and drag down the Notification bar
- Tap Settings
- Scroll to and tap System update
- Select Update now
- If newer system updates are available at that point in time, follow the on-screen instructions for installation, or else tap OK
- Your Samsung Galaxy Note 4's software should now be up-to-date, with the installation of Android Lollipop OS update.
Currently, Samsung's Galaxy Note 4 runs the legacy Android 4.4.4 (KitKat) operating platform, out of the box.