Users of the LG G2 Mini smartphone would finally get the Android 5.0 (Lollipop) OS update in June, nearly eight months after Google released the firmware update.
The LG G2 Mini currently runs the outdated Google Android 4.4.2 (KitKat) operating platform.
GSMArena has quoted an official LG statement made on Facebook with regards to the imminent release of the Android Lollipop firmware upgrade to G2 Mini user.
LG is expected to begin the roll-out to G2 Mini users beginning from Greece, the Facebook post claimed.
However, as soon as the Lollipop OS update is active for a specific smartphone in a particular region, it would rapidly extend to smartphone users (of that particular brand) residing in other parts of the world.
Hence, LG G2 Mini users across the globe can check their smartphones regularly for an over-the-air (OTA) update, representing the Android Lollipop OS.
Enhancements brought along with the Android Lollipop OS update for LG G2 Mini users:
- Material Design User Interface (UI): The new material design offers complex animations and 3-D views, 64-bit ABI support and improved runtime.
- Home Touch Buttons: Home Screen Navigation buttons are now changed/improved to offer more intuitiveness and ease of operation.
- Lockscreen and Notifications: Notifications can appear on the Lock Screen based on user settings, with the first two notifications being displayed if configured accordingly. Swiping away a notification while on the lockscreen will display the next Notification without the user having to unlock the device.
- Hiding Notifications: This feature can be configured via the Settings menu to "Show all notifications", "Hide sensitive only" or "Hide all notifications" so that Notifications on the Lock Screen can be fully displayed, selectively displayed or not displayed at all.
- Smart Lock: Provides a simpler way to unlock the device by using face recognition.
- Floating Action Buttons: The floating action button is added in some of the main applications to promote the key action such as adding or composing a new item. Floating Action Buttons can be found in the Clock, Contacts, Email, Messaging, and Music applications.
- LG Health: LG 2 Mini users can also check for the new LG Health and Fitness application with user goal indicated inside a custom UI in the main window, to motivate users to achieve their goals. The distance view functionality is also said to be newly added.
- Screen Pinning: The Screen Pinning feature can be found in the Recent app. Screen pinning locks the device to a single app, preventing the device from launching other apps until it is unpinned by the user.
How to manually search and download the Android 5.0 OS update:
LG G2 Mini users can follow the steps mentioned below to manually search and download the Android 5.0 SO update.
From the Home Screen, tap the Menu Key and navigate to Settings > About Phone > Software updates > Check for Updates and follow onscreen instructions.