Solange Knowles Attacks Jay Z in an Elevator
The family said they have moved on from the incident.

Beyonce, Jay Z and Solange Knowles have released a joint statement in response to the infamous elevator showdown video, in which Beyonce's sister was seen attacking the rapper.

CTV footage of Solange Knowles punching, kicking and lashing out at Jay Z in a lift at New York's Standard Hotel went viral after it was released by a member of the hotel staff.

The statement from the Carter-Knowles family reads: "As a result of the public release of the elevator security footage from Monday, May 5th, there has been a great deal of speculation about what triggered the unfortunate incident. But the most important thing is that our family has worked through it.

"Jay and Solange each assume their share of responsibility for what has occurred. They both acknowledge their role in this private matter that has played out in the public. They both have apologized to each other and we have moved forward as a united family.

"The reports of Solange being intoxicated or displaying erratic behaviour throughout that evening are simply false," the statement added.

"At the end of the day families have problems and we're no different. We love each other and above all we are family. We've put this behind us and hope everyone else will do the same."

Solange Knowles.
Knowles was seen attacking Jay-Z in the CCTV footage.Reuters

The statement comes after the family reportedly had crisis talks to rectify the damage caused to their public image by the incident.

The statement does not attempt to clarify the reason why Solange Knowles appeared to fly into a rage.  

Speculation has been rife as to the cause of the altercation, with rumours surfacing to suggest that Beyonce's sister lashed out when her music mogul brother-in-law "got too close" to designer Rachel Roy at the star-studded Met Gala.

Hollywood Life has claimed that the 27-year-old was infuriated after the Californian fashion designer was seen hovering around Jay Z at the New York event.

An insider told the site: "Solange was defending Beyoncé in the elevator because Solange finds Jay's friendship with Rachel to be WAY too close for comfort and it makes Solange very uncomfortable."

The confrontation is said to have escalated after Jay-Z made clear his intentions to attend Rihanna's after party alone, where Knowles believed Roy would also be in attendance.

Roy has a long association with Jay, Beyonce and their family and was previously married to the rapper's former manager and business partner Damon Dash before divorcing in 2008.

She seemed to allude to the furore as she referenced a Jay Z song on Twitter with the words: "The Beach is better!"

The CCTV footage was sold to celebrity news site TMZ for a reported $250,000 (£149,000) in what is said to be the hotel's biggest-ever security breach.

The Standard Hotel has confirmed that the person responsible has been terminated for "breaching the security polices of the hotel and recording the confidential CCTV video."

Following the incident Beyonce and Jay Z, who guard their private life fiercely, were seen sat courtside at two Brooklyn Nets games, in a public show of togetherness. Beyonce has also been posting a series of tender images of her sister on Instagram in a bid to end the speculation about their family dispute.