It's been a tumultuous week for fallen Top Gear host Chris Evans, having stepped down from his hosting role after just one series of the reformed motoring show on Monday 4 July. But now, it looks as though the Radio 2 host may not be returning to a regular television slot at all after it has been reported that his Channel 4 programme has been axed.
The 50-year-old presenters show, TFI Friday, returned after 15 years in October 2015, but has not been recommissioned for a new series, The Sun reports. A source told the publication: "It's not great news for Chris after losing Top Gear, but there isn't the appetite to bring back TFI again.
"Chris is seen as a nightmare to deal with and I don't think they want the hassle that comes with it," they added.
If true, the news may come as a blow to Evans, who resigned from Top Gear by announcing on Twitter: "Stepping down from Top Gear. Gave it my best shot but sometimes that's not enough. The team are beyond brilliant, I wish them all the best. Full steam ahead then with Radio 2, CarFest, Children In Need, 500 Words and whatever else we can dream up in the future."
The show attracted the lowest audience figures in a decade, with the final and sixth episode garnering just 1.9m viewers – an almost 50% drop from the first episode of the series' 4.3m.
It also follows the revelation that Evans may be investigated by police for historic sexual assault claims made against him, along with reports that he had reduced several staff to tears.
The BBC show, previously helmed by Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May, received mixed to negative reviews for its renovation, but bosses have confirmed that Evans will not be replaced with a new presenter. This suggests that Evans former co-host, Matt LeBlanc, will be taking centre stage.
While in the driving seat of the car-obsessed series, Evans was ridiculed for his 'shouty' presenting technique by viewers, and was said to be a "control-freak" on set with "diva-like behaviour." BBC Trust chairman Rona Fairhead denied these reports earlier this week, claiming that director general Tony Hall had assured her there had been "no unprofessional behaviour" from Evans.
IBTimes UK has reached out to Evans' representative for comment.