Inspired by Anna Jarvis who created Mother's Day, Grace Golden Clayton, initiated efforts to celebrate male parenting. This was her way of paying homage to the victims of the Monongah Mining Disaster, which claimed 361 men — 250 of whom were fathers.
However, the day was first officially celebrated in 1910 in Spokane, Washington, on 19 June to honour fatherhood and paternal bonds. To commemorate the special day, IBTimes UK has compiled a list of top quotes and messages to honour fathers around the world.
Top 10 Quotes
1. My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person, he believed in me. — Jim Valvano
2. Mothers play an important role as the heart of the home, but this in no way lessens the equally important role fathers should play, as head of the home, in nurturing, training, and loving their children. — Ezra Taft Benson
3. As a dad, you are the vice-president of the executive branch of parenting. It doesn't matter what your personality is like, you will always be Al Gore to your wife's Bill Clinton. She feels the pain and you are the annoying nerd telling them to turn off the lights. — Jim Gaffigan
4. I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father's protection. — Sigmund Freud
5. This is the price you pay for having a great father. You get the wonder, the joy, the tender moments - and you get the tears at the end, too. — Harlan Coben
6. When a father gives to his son, both laugh; when a son gives to his father, both cry. — William Shakespeare
7. The greatest thing a father can do to his children, is to love their mother. — Anjaneth Garcia Untalan
8. I've said it before, but it's absolutely true: My mother gave me my drive, but my father gave me my dreams. Thanks to him, I could see a future. — Liza Minnelli
9. I've had a hard life, but my hardships are nothing against the hardships that my father went through in order to get me to where I started. — Bartrand Hubbard
10. Fathers, be good to your daughters. You are the god and the weight of her world. — Robert Orben