Google Nexus 10 can now be updated to the latest Android 5.0.2 Lollipop firmware via custom AOSP builds of CyanogenMod 12 Nightly ROM, which brings the top custom Lollipop features in a highly stable release.
Interested users can go ahead and install the latest Lollipop based CM12 ROM on their Google Nexus 10 by following our step-by-step guide provided below.
IBTimes UK reminds readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after the ROM installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for Nexus 10 only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Tablet
- Ensure the tablet has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing tablet setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup
- Verify correct USB drivers for the tablet are installed on the computer (download Nexus 10 USB drivers)
- Enable USB Debugging mode via Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 4.0 or above) or Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier)
- Ensure that the device is rooted with CWM recovery installed and its bootloader is unlocked
Steps to Install Android5.0.2 CyanogenMod 12 ROM on Google Nexus 10
Step 1 - Download CyanogenMod 12 Android 5.0.2 custom ROM for Google Nexus 10 on the computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount the tablet's USB mass storage on computer with the USB cable.
Step 3 - Now, copy the downloaded CM12 ROM zip file to the root folder on the tablet's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off the tablet and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5 - Boot the device into Fastboot Mode by pressing Volume up, Volume Down and Power buttons on your tablet. Then navigate to Recovery option by using Volume buttons to browse the menu and then tap Power to select it. Finally, hit Volume Up button to progress into Recovery mode.
Step 6 - Once the tablet enters into CWM Recovery, perform a full data wipe task by clicking Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Use the Volumekeys to navigate between options and the Power button to select an option in the Recovery Mode.
Step 7 - Then, perform Wipe Cache Partition and wait until the process completes.
Step 8 - Perform Wipe Dalvik Cache as well. To do this, go to the 'advanced'option and then click Wipe Dalvik Cache. This will help in preventing boot loop issues or any boot ROM related errors during firmware installation.
Step 9 - Return to the main recovery menu and choose Install Zip from SD card.
Step 10 - Click Choose Zip from SD card. Use volume keys to navigate to the CM12 ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your tablet's SD card and choose it by tapping the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on the next screen and the installation process will begin.
Note: Repeat Step 9 and Step 10 to installGoogle Apps (Gapps) as well.
Step 11 - Once both the Gapps and ROM are installed, go to "+++++Go Back+++++" and select Reboot System Now in the Recovery menu.
The tablet will now reboot and the first boot may take about five minutes to complete. So, please be patient.
Your Google Nexus 10 is now running the latest Android 5.0.2 Lollipop via CM12 custom ROM. Go to Settings > About tablet to verify the firmware version installed.