There is some great news for owners of Google's Nexus devices, namely Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10, as these devices can now be updated to Android 5.0 Lollipop using unofficial Android Open Source Project (AOSP) ports, with due credit to the industrious XDA Developers.
With the official OTA rollout from Google being delayed for these devices until 12 November, curious Android users may try installing the unofficial AOSP ports with key Lollipop features including Material Design UI, new Quick Settings toggles, battery saving mode and Android Runtime.
Google has not yet released any factory images for its Nexus devices except for Nexus 9, which is yet to hit the market and hence this could be a compelling reason to install Lollipop update via unofficial custom ROM ports such as AOSP.
IBTimes UK reminds readers that it would not he held liable for any damage to device during or after Android 5.0 AOSP ROM installation on Nexus devices. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
Steps to Install Android 5.0 Lollipop on Nexus 4 via AOSP Build LRX21M
Method 1: Clean Installing via TWRP Recovery
- Download the following files:
- aosp_mako-ota-eng.5.0.zip or aosp_mako-ota-eng-preroot.5.0.zip (to get root* access)
- * In case you have already downloaded aosp_mako-ota-eng.5.0.zip you can also flash aosp_mako-boot-root.5.0.zip to prepare for root
- optional: BETA-SuperSU-v2.19.zip
- Backup your apps using the following adb command:
Type in the following Code and hit Enter key:
adb backup -apk -obb -all -system
- Back up data on your internal storage by either copying all files in Explorer or using adb:
Type in the following Code and hit Enter key:
adb pull /sdcard/
- Boot into recovery mode
- Perform a Factory reset. Note: All your apps and app data will be deleted. So, make sure you have created a backup.
- Now Format/wipe internal storage. Doing so will delete all your files and hence it is important to ensure you have a backup!
- Format/wipe system
- Unmount system
- Install aosp_mako-ota-eng.5.0.zip (or aosp_mako-ota-eng-preroot.5.0.zip)
- Install gapps-lp-20141105-signed.zip
- Optionally, you may choose to install BETA-SuperSU-v2.19.zip (if you want root access, else skip this step)
- The first boot can take about 5 to 10 minutes. So, leave it alone.
- If you have any important data to be restored, you can recover it from backup:
Enter the following code:
adb restore backup.ab
- Finally, you may copy your files back to internal storage (if you have any data backed up earlier).
Method 2: Clean Installing via Fastboot
- Download the following image files:
- boot.img or boot-root.img (prepared for root, you still have to install SuperSU somehow...)
- Optional recovery.img
- Optional, should be empty: cache.img
- Optional, should be empty: userdata.img
- Boot the Nexus 4 into bootloader
- Flash the downloaded image files via fastboot:
Type in the following codes one after another and hit Enter key each time:
- fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- fastboot flash boot boot.img
- fastboot flash cache cache.img
- fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
- fastboot flash system system.img
Steps to Install Android 5.0 Lollipop on Nexus 5 via AOSP Build LRX21M
You will need the following downloads before you proceed:
Once you have downloaded the required files, you can flash the same via fastboot (see steps below).
Step-1: open command window
Step-2: Type in the following commands in fastboot and hit Enter key after each line.
- type "fastboot flash system system.img"
- type "fastboot flash userdata userdata.img"
- type "fastboot flash boot boot.img"
- type "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"
- type "fastboot flash cache cache.img"
- type "fastboot reboot" and let the device reboot to home screen.
Meanwhile, owners of Nexus 7 2012 (grouper), Nexus 7 2013 (flo) and Nexus 10 (manta) can use the following steps to install Android 5.0 Lollipop via pure AOSP custom port.
Steps to Install Android 5.0 Lollipop on Nexus 7 2013 via AOSP Build LRX21M
Android 5.0 Lollipop AOSP ROM for Nexus 7 2012 (tutorial coming soon)
Android 5.0 Lollipop AOSP ROM for Nexus 10 (tutorial coming soon)
Once you have downloaded the necessary files, perform the following steps to install AOSP ROM on your device.
- Copy both ROM and "Save Recovery" to storage
- Note: Save recovery just stops stock recovery from being loaded.
- Ensure that 4.0.4 Boot loader file from latest Preview build is installed. If not download it from here. Reboot the device into bootloader and run the batch file that says update bootloader.
- Once bootloader is updated choose boot to recovery.
- Now Flash ROM and Save Recovery.zip.
- If you want Root access then flash Rooted boot image for your model and then flash SuperSU.