Riding on the enormous support from third-party Android developers, the Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300) continues to enjoy the privilege of upgrading to the latest software from Google as it is one of the lucky few devices to receive custom Android 5.0 Lollipop support after the prominent Nexus devices.
Samsung has already ceased further Android development updates for its former flagship phone as the company's lifetime support has ended for the product, following the completion of 18-month support policy.
Some of the key performance enhancements and improvements ported into this ROM are listed below:
- Supports Android 5.0 Lollipop, CyanogenMod 10.2, CyanogenMod 11.0,
- OmniROM, SlimKat, Samsung stock-based ROM 4.3, Back-to-n00t based
- Android 4.4.4 ROM
- Upgraded to the latest Linux
- Speed improvements
- Battery improvements
- New CPU Governors
- New I/O Schedulers
- CPU undervolt capability
- CPU overclock capability
- Color inverting by quadriple tapping on home button
- Proper dual-boot functionality
The custom Android 5.0 Lollipop ROM still seems half-baked as a bunch of inherent bugs and broken features are yet to be patched. Check out the complete list of broken features below:
- Internal & External Storage
- Graphics including color calibration and hw composer
- Screen off (the device cannot enter deep sleep)
Nevertheless, those who wish to evaluate or get a first look at Android 5.0 Lollipop can go ahead and install this custom ROM, which is based on stock GT-I9300 kernel source and compiled using latest ARM hard-float Linaro-toolchain with optimization options.
IBTimes UK reminds readers it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after Android 5.0 Lolliop firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for the international variant of Galaxy S3 with model number I9300 only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure the phone has at at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod(CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Galaxy S3 USB drivers).
- Ensure that the device is rooted with CWM recovery installed and its bootloader is unlocked.
Steps to Install Android 5.0 Lollipop on Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300)
- As the ROM is in Nandroid Backup format, you can install it by restoring the backup from your SD card backup folder.
- Extract the downloaded ZIP file and copy the ROM back-up file from '/sdcard/clockworkmod/backup' to the desired location on your phone.
- Now boot up your phone in recovery mode.
- Perform a full data wipe (except if you're running previous versions of this ROM)
- Finally, restore the nandroid backup which you copied earlier and then flash the downloaded kernel
[Source: Droid Views]