XDA developer, Unjustified Dev has developed a handy root tool that works on a range of LG devices, providing root access both on Android Lollipop and KitKat firmware.
Compatible LG devices
- LG F60 [All variants]
- LG Tribute [All variants]
- LG G2 [All variants]
- LG MS [395/D393]
- LG G3 [Lollipop running all models except Verizon version]
- LG G Flex 2
- LG G Pro 2
- LG L90 [All variants except Verizon model]
- LG Transpyre
- LG Volt [LS740]
If you are an owner of any of the aforementioned LG devices then you can take advantage of the root tool by Unjustified Dev. Check out below for a step-by-step root guide.
- Create a backup of all important data of the phone.
- Ensure that the LG device is having above 80% battery.
- Rooting your device will void the device of its manufacturer's warranty.
- The LG Root tool supports the aforementioned LG smartphones only. Do not apply this on any other variant.
- IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any damage to the device.
- Download LG Root
- Download LG Drivers
- Micro USB cable to connect with PC
- Your LG device should be encrypted
How to root LG G3, G Flex 2, LG G2 and G Pro 2 on Android 5.0 Lollipop and KitKat
Step-1: Extract the LG_Root.zip in a preferred location on your PC
Step-2: Enable USB debugging. Go to Settings>> About phone>> Software Information and tap build number until you are presented with a message that reads, You are now a developer. Exit back to Settings main screen. Now enable USB Debugging under Developer Options
Step-3: Connect your LG phone to the computer via USB cable
Step-4: Launch a command prompt in an empty space inside the LG Root folder. Press Shift + Right click on the keyboard and select Open command prompt here option
Step-5: When the command window launches, issue the following command to ensure your LG phone is recognised properly
Step-6: Now execute the following command
adb.exe push busybox /data/local/tmp/ && adb.exe push lg_root.sh /data/local/tmp && adb.exe push UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /data/local/tmp
Your screen should look like this
Step-7: The necessary files should now be on your phone. At this point disconnect the phone from PC and enter download mode.
- Turn off the device first
- Hold Volume Up and connect the USB cable
- Wait for a few seconds and until drivers are installed
Step-8: Now find out which COM port your device is connected to. Double click ports.bat file in the LG Root folder. Note down the COM port number
Step-9: Execute the following command
Step-10: To run the root script, type in the command below
sh /data/local/tmp/lg_root.sh dummy 1 /data/local/tmp/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /data/local/tmp/busybox
Your screen should be like this
Step-11: Pull out the battery to get the device out of download mode
That's it, you are done. Re-insert the battery and turn your device on.