A root method is now available for the Nexus 5 running the latest Android 4.4.4 KitKat firmware with build number KTU84P, released by Google for its nexus devices.
Interested users, who wish to root their Nexus 5 on Android 4.4.4 KTU84P, may follow our step-by-step guide below. Along with rooting, the tutorial shows you how to install the latest version of ClockworkMod recovery on the phone.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. Before following the root method users are also advised to verify that their devices meet the following requirements.
- As the tutorial might wipe all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device has any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP installed, then back up data using the recovery.
- If the Android device powers off due to lack of battery during the process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Nexus 5 should have above 80% battery charge.
- The SuperSU root file and CWM recovery used in the tutorial are compatible with Nexus 5 codenamed hammerhead. As applying these on any incorrect variant is likely to brick the device, verify the model number of Nexus 5 by navigating to Settings>> About phone> Model number.
- The phone should be on Android 4.4.4 KTU84P stock firmware.
- The bootloader of Nexus 5 should be unlocked.
- Rooting the device will void manufacturer's warranty.
Steps to root Nexus 5 on Android 4.4.4 KTU84P KitKat and install CWM recovery
Step-2: Enable USB Debugging mode on Nexus 5. Navigate to Settings>> Developer options and tick USB Debugging option.
Step-3: Download fastboot and extract it in android-sdk-windows platform-tools directory
Step-4: Download SuperSU v2.00 on the computer. Now copy the root zip to the internal storage of the phone. Ensure that the file is in the SD card root, not in any folder
File name: UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.00.zip
Step-5: Download latest version of CWM recovery and copy it in android-sdk-windows platform-tools directory
Download link: recovery-clockwork-touch-188.8.131.52-hammerhead.img
Step-6: Switch off the Nexus 5. Enter Fastboot/Bootloader Mode. Press Volume Down and Power buttons together for a few seconds until some text appears on the screen. This is Bootloader Mode
Step-7: Navigate to android-sdk-windows platform-tools directory and open Command Prompt [Shift + Right click>> Open Command Prompt]
Step-8: Type in the following command and press Enter
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-184.108.40.206-hammerhead
Step-9: Choose RECOVERY from Fastboot menu and enter Recovery Mode
Step-10: Navigate to flash zip from sdcard and select it using Power button. Then select choose zip from sdcard
Step-11: Using the Volume keys scroll down to UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.00.zip, which was earlier copied to the SD card. Select it using Power button and confirm installation on the next screen
Step-12: When the installation process is completed, go to +++++Go Back+++++ and reboot the tablet by selecting reboot system now from the recovery menu. The Nexus 5 will boot now. It will take about five minutes to boot for the first time
Nexus 5 running Android 4.4.4 KTU84P should now be rooted successfully and have CWM recovery installed. Open the app list of the device and check for SuperSU app.
[Source: Team Android]