Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 users are in for some good news, as the Paranoid Android (PA) ROM brings the latest Android 5.0.2 (Lollipop) update to the phone via the recently released Alpha build by the PA team.
With due credit to XDA Developers senior member Gokulbalram, the Paranoid Android 5.0 ROM can now be installed on the international variant of Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300) using Boeffla kernel.
As Gokulbalram admits in a recent post on XDA, the PA 5.0 ROM has been created by tweaking @JustArchi's device tree that involves "renaming certain files and lines in those files".
It is imperative to flash the Boeffla kernel first to make your device compatible with the latest Paranoid Android 5.0 ROM.
As the PA Alpha 1 ROM is still in its Alpha stage of development, some of its features are not completely tested and may harbour a few untested bugs or broken features.
However, those who want to enjoy a first-hand Lollipop experience on their ageing Galaxy S3 can go ahead and install the Paranoid Android 5.0 ROM, using the step-by-step guide provided below.
IBTimes UK reminds readers it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after Android 5.0 Lollipop firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for the international variant of Galaxy S3 with model number GT-I9300 only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Galaxy S3 USB drivers).
- Enable USB Debugging mode via Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 4.0 or above) or Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Ensure that the device is rooted with CWM recovery installed and its bootloader is unlocked.
- Flash Boeffla Kernel
Paranoid Android 5.0 Alpha 1 ROM (Note: When the download pop-up window opens enter Decryption Key: X_3LSC27xLi-kaIfvqkjBQ)
Steps to Install Unofficial Paranoid Android 5.0 Alpha 1 ROM on Galaxy S3 I9300
Step 1 - Download Paranoid Android 5.0 custom ROM for Galaxy S3 on the computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount the phone's USB mass storage on computer with USB cable.
Step 3 - Now, copy the downloaded PA 5.0 ROM zip file to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5 - Now boot the device into Recovery Mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together.
Step 6 - Once the phone enters into CWM Recovery, perform a full data wipe task by clicking Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Use the Volume keys to navigate between options and Power button to select an option in the Recovery Mode.
Step 7 - Then, perform Wipe Cache Partition and wait until the process completes.
Step 8 - Now perform Wipe Dalvik Cache as well. To do this, go to 'advanced' option and then click Wipe Dalvik Cache. This will help in preventing boot loop issues or any boot ROM related errors during firmware installation.
Step 9 - Then return to the main recovery menu and choose Install Zip fromSD card.
Step 10 - Now click Choose Zip fromSD card. Use volume keys to navigate to the Paranoid Android 5.0 ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your phone's SD card and choose it by tapping the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation process will begin.
Note: Repeat step 9 and 10 to install Google Apps (Gapps) as well.
Step 11 - Once the ROM and Gapps installation completes, go to "+++++Go Back+++++" and select Reboot System Now in the Recovery menu.
The phone will now reboot and the first boot may take about five minutes to complete. So, please be patient.
Your Galaxy S3 I9300 is now running the latest Android 5.0.2 Lollipop via Paranoid Android 5.0 custom ROM. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.