Samsung has rolled out a new stock Android Lollipop build I9505XXUHOD7, for the international LTE model of Galaxy S4 using the quad-core Snapdragon 600 processor. With Android version 5.0.1, the firmware is live for users in Germany.
According to folks at XDA forum, the OTA update weighing in around 500MB, improves the stability for the LTE model. The firmware seems to be smooth like KitKat. Besides, the RAM management has been improved and it brings five new German apps. The battery percentage in the status bar is enabled by default.
"For me its smoother no lag at all rest is all the same,didnt try high end games i am playing just some light games," confirms senior forum member hare89.
Head over to the development thread to know about the changes added in this new build.
Those staying in firmware supported regions can connect their device to the Samsung Kies server to check for the update. You can also manually install the update using our step-by-step guide below.
Note that you should have an unlocked GT-I9505 to install the official build I9505XXUHOD7, which is an unbranded version of firmware.
- Model: GT-I9505
- Model name: Galaxy S4 LTE
- Country: Germany
- Version: Android 5.0.1
- Changelist: 4760392
- Build date: 22 April
- Product code: DBT
- PDA: I9505XXUHOD7
- CSC: I9505OXAHOD7
Points to remember
- Install proper USB drivers for your Galaxy S4 on the computer.
- There might be big issues as this is a leaked firmware. Create a backup of all important data using custom recovery, as this process might wipe out everything from the device.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> Developer Options>> check the USB Debugging option.]
- Ensure your Galaxy S4 has 80% battery. The device might shut down during the process due to lack of battery, which in turn could brick the device.
- You should be having an unlocked Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 model.
- The phone will lose custom ROM once the stock update is installed. Also, the custom recovery will be replaced by the stock version.
- The phone will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
- I9505XXUHOD7 Android Lollipop firmware used in this tutorial is meant for Galaxy S4 LTE I9505. As flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number and then install firmware based on the model number.
- IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any damage to the device.
How to install Android 5.0.1 Lollipop I9505XXUHOD7 stock firmware on Galaxy S4 LTE (I9505)
Step-1: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using any extracting tool
Step-2: Extract the Odin zip
Step-3: Power off the Galaxy S4
Step-4: Enter into Download Mode by pressing and holding Home, Power and Volume Down buttons together
Note: Ensure that you have installed proper USB drivers installed on your PC.
Step-5: Launch Odin as Administrator on the computer. Click on the Odin tool then right-click and select Run as Administrator from the drop down menu
Step-6: Connect the S4 to the PC using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn light blue (or, any other colour according to Odin version) with COM port number. This step might take some time
Step-7: In Odin click the AP tab and select the firmware file extracted in step-1
Step-8: Enable Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes in Odin. Also, uncheck Re-Partition checkbox
Step-9: Double check everything and click the Start button in Odin
Step-10: The installation should start now. It would take a few minutes to complete the installation. Once the process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. When you see the home screen on the phone, unplug the USB cable from the phone safely
Your Galaxy S4 should now be up and running with the new Android Lollipop build.