Samsung Russia is reported to have started seeding the official Android 5.0.1 Lollipop update for the Exynos 5 octa-core running Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500).
Weighing in at 1049MB, the update seems to be so big that Samsung will be removing some pre-loaded apps like Google Play Books, Movies and others to make space. However, these apps can be directly downloaded from Play Store.
Galaxy S4 users in Russia should receive the OTA notification. The update is still unavailable on the Kies server.
Meanwhile, recognised XDA contributor, AL_IRAQI has managed to capture the official update and has shared the download link for the Russian Lollipop firmware. This Android Lollipop firmware with build I9500XXUHOA7 can be flashed using the Odin flashing tool.
If you are interested in installing the Android 5.0.1 I9500XXUHOA7 Lollipop official firmware on your Galaxy S4 head over to the installation guide below.
- Install proper USB drivers for your Galaxy S4 on the computer.
- Create a backup of all the data of the phone using any custom recovery.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> Developer Options>> check the USB Debugging option.]
- Your Galaxy S4 should have above 80% battery charge.
- The device should be factory unlocked.
- The phone will lose custom ROM once the stock update is installed. Also, the custom recovery will be replaced by the stock version.
- Your Galaxy S4 will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
- Android 5.0.1 Lollipop I9500XXUHOA7 works only with Galaxy S4 I9500. As flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number and then install firmware based on the model number.
- IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any damage to the device.
or, from here
How to install official Android 5.0.1 Lollipop I9500XXUHOA7 update on Galaxy S4 (I9500)
Step-1: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using any extracting tool
Step-2: Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v.3.09.exe with a few other files
Step-3: Power off the Galaxy S4
Step-4: Enter into Download Mode by pressing and holding Home, Power and Volume Down buttons together
Note: Ensure that you have installed the proper USB drivers installed on your PC.
Step-5: Launch Odin as Administrator on the computer. Click on the Odin tool then right-click and select Run as Administrator from the drop down menu
Step-6: Connect the S4 to the PC using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn light blue with the COM port number. This step might take some time
Step-7: In Odin select the files in the following order
- Tap on the BL button and select BL_I9500XXUHOA7-CL3943544_QB3767100_REV00-user_low_ship.tar.md5
- Tap on AP button and select AP_I9500XXUHOA7-CL3943544_QB3767100_REV00-user_low_ship.tar.md5
- Tap on CP button and select CP_I9500XXUHOA7-CL3943544_QB3767100_REV00-user_low_ship.tar.md5
- Tap on CSC button and select CSC_SER_I9500SERHOA7_ CL3943544_ QB3767100_REV00-user_low_ship.tar.md5
Step-8: Enable Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes in Odin. Ensure Re-Partition checkbox is not checked
Step-9: Double check everything and click the Start button in Odin
Step-10: The installation should start now. It would take about five minutes to complete the installation. Once the process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. When you see the home screen on the phone, disconnect the phone from the computer
Your Galaxy S4 should now be running I9500XXUHOA7 official build based on Android 5.0.1 Lollipop. Navigate to Settings>> About phone to verify the Android version of the handset.