The support for Galaxy S5 Mini was not added in the list of Android devices for official CyanogenMod 12 nightlies released by the team. Thankfully, recognised XDA contributor jackeagle brings some luck for S5 mini owners by releasing an unofficial build of CyanogenMod 12 build based on the latest Android Lollipop version, 5.0.2.
The initial release is an alpha build and for the SM-G800H model only. It cannot be used as a daily driver. Most of the features are functional in this release except the camera. But the developer team is expected to address these issues in future releases.
- RIL (calls and data mobile)
- All Sensors
- Fixed Sensors (Proximity, Auto Rotations, Light Sensor etc)
- Fixed Menu App/Recent App Key
- Fixed Dual SIM
- Fixed GPS (WIP)
- Fix SELINUX Denials
- Merged with latest CM Updates
- Create a backup of all your important data as this process might wipe out everything. You can do so using any custom recovery on your Android device.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it to the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Go to Settings>> About phone. Scroll down to Build number, Tap seven times on the build number. The Developer options under Settings should appear now. You can now enable USB debugging mode.]
- The S5 Mini should be having above 80% battery. Due to lack of battery the phone might shut down during the middle of the process which in turn could damage the device.
- It should be rooted with the latest version of TWRP recovery installed.
- The unofficial CyanogenMod 12 build is for Galaxy S5 Mini SM-G800H only. Applying this on any incorrect variant might brick the device. Verify the model number of the smartphone by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number and install firmware based on the mode number of the device.
- All the features might not be functioning properly since the ROM is under development stage.
- After the ROM is installed, leave the device for at least 10 minutes, before using it, for a better user experience.
- IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any damage to the device.
How to install CyanogenMod 12 featuring Android 5.0.2 Lollipop on Galaxy S5 Mini SM-G800H
Step-1: Download unofficial CyanogenMod 12 build on your PC
Step-2: Download Gapps
Step-3: Connect the S5 to your PC using USB cable. Now without extracting, move the above downloaded files to the internal storage of your phone. Keep the files in the root folder of SD card, not in any other folder
Step-4: Unplug the USB cable from the phone and switch it off
Step-5: Boot it into recovery mode by holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together
Step-6: Do a Nandroid backup of the existing ROM in the recovery mode. Select Backup and Restore>> Backup
Step-7: Perform data wiping task by selecting wipe data/factory rest
Step-8: Return to the main recovery menu and select, install zip from sdcard>> choose zip from sdcard, and then locate the CyanogenMod 12 build which you have copied earlier to the internal storage of the phone. Select it and confirm installation
Step-9: When the ROM is installed, repeat the similar procedure to install Gapps file. But this time instead to the ROM, select Gapps
Step-10: When the installation is finished, go to main recovery menu and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now
Unofficial CyanogenMod 12 ROM with Android 5.0.2 version should now be running on your Galaxy S5 Mini.