Kensington Palace has announced today (27 November) that Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are engaged. After dating for approximately 18 months, the royal couple are set to tie the knot next spring.
The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh are said to be "delighted for the couple" while the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge said they were "very excited for Harry and Meghan".
As soon as the big news broke, Twitter convulsed into a frenzy of excitement. Here are some of the best reactions to the royal engagement:
1. Celebrities, politicians and ordinary folks have been offering their congratulations and best wishes to the royal lovebirds:
2. Talks about Prince George and Princess Charlotte's cousins already doing the rounds:
3. The anticipation for another Royal Wedding has already started building up:
4. Speculations about how Prince Harry proposed and what the ring looks like:
5. Some Twitter users remembered Princess Diana on this big day:
6. Others celebrated the diversity that Markle will bring to Buckingham Palace:
7. Those on the other side of the pond were just as thrilled about having an 'American Princess':
8. Many despaired as their dreams of becoming a Princess came crashing down:
9. And of course, the GIFs had to make their presence felt as well: