Italian boss Antonio Conte says he has given up on his attempts to restore Mario Balotelli's reputation at international level after the Liverpool striker pulled out of the latest squad to face Croatia and Albania.
Conte has all but suggested his future with the national team is over as he does not have the time to change him. The former Juventus manager says the Reds striker has failed to make the impact expected under a number of great managers including Jose Mourinho at Inter Milan and Roberto Mancini.
"I'm not so arrogant as to claim that I'm different from the great coaches, but the past tells us that they failed to change Balotelli," he told Rai sport before the friendly victory over Albania on Tuesday night.
"It'll be up to the player, but I don't have much time and I need certain things."
Balotelli has also struggled to convince Liverpool's Brendan Rodgers to give him a regular place in the team at Anfield, with reports even suggesting the boss is already ready cut ties with the Italy international in the upcoming transfer window after only just signing him from Milan this summer for £16m.
The striker, with just two goals this season, has failed to fill the void left by Luis Suarez's departure to Barcelona and the injured Daniel Sturridge. His commitment was also called into question earlier in the season after he swapped shirts with Real Madrid defender Pepe at half-time during the 3-0 Champions League defeat.
Both Napoli manager Rafa Benitez and new Inter Milan Boss Roberto Mancini have ruled out bringing him back to Seria A even though the Italian coach managed to get the best out of him during his spells together at Inter and Manchester City.