The Fellowship of the Ring, the first of the three-novel series of The Lord of the Rings by English author JRR Tolkien has completed 60 years.
The novel was first published in the United Kingdom 60 years ago and has become the most popular fantasy series of all time.
The masterpiece of Tolkien was originally meant to be a one-book novel with 1,200 to 1,500 pages but the publisher George Allen & Unwin decided to make it a three-book series with the names: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers (1954) and The Return of The King (1955).
The legend of Middle Earth became phenomenal among fantasy book lovers, so much so that they wanted to relive the epic journey of Frodo Baggins, Gandalf and Aragon.
Thanks to director Peter Jackson, fans were able to do exactly that with the Lord of The Rings movie trilogy. He sprinkled life into the novel and made the characters look real and believable through his attention to intricate details, great cinematography and storytelling ability.
Here are some great quotes from the movie to celebrate one of the greatest fantasy novels of all time.
1. "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." – Lady Galadriel tells Frodo about the epic journey to destroy that one ring.
2. "I am Gandalf the White. And I come back to you now... at the turn of the tide." – Gandalf the Grey returns in Two Towers.
3. "For the time will soon come when Hobbits will shape the fortunes of all."– Lady Galadriel
4. "I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the Ages of this world alone." – Lady Arwen to Aragon
5. "A day may come when the courage of men fails... but it is not THIS day."– Aragorn to his army before the final battle with Mordor
6. "The board is set, the pieces are moving. We come to it at last, the great battle of our time." – Gandalf to Pippin
7. "I'm glad to be with you, Samwise Gamgee...here at the end of all things." – Frodo to Sam after destroying the ring
8. "It is strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing, such a little thing." - Boromir after finding the ring
9. "End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it." - Gandalf to Pippin
10. That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for." - Sam tells Frodo while on their way to Mordor