Manchester United will reportedly look to sign another centre-back once they have completed the record-breaking deal for Paul Pogba. The Old Trafford club are said to be on the cusp of resigning Pogba from Juventus and will then turn their sights towards strengthening their defence.
The Reds have already signed Ivorian centre-back Eric Bailly from Villarreal this summer, but United boss Jose Mourinho thinks he is still short of top-class players in that area. He has, therefore, identified Ezequiel Garay, Jose Fonte and Leonardo Bonucci as potential defensive options, according to The Sunday Times.
United are aware that a deal for Bonucci could require more tiring negotiations with Juventus, who have reportedly floated a price of £60m ($79.3m) for the player.
Alternatively, Fonte – who won Euro 2016 with Portugal – would be a cheaper option and he would have the added advantage of having played in the Premier League for four seasons with Southampton. Garay, who plays for Zenit St Petersburg, is an Argentine international and would be similarly cheap.
The United boss has reportedly become worried about his defensive options since he started working with his squad earlier this month. Mourinho is said to be eager to recruit a seasoned central defender who is capable of leading a reshaped defence.