Michael Douglas turns 70 today (25 September) and to celebrate we've collected 10 of his best quotes.
Sometimes funny, sometimes controversial, sometimes insightful but all interesting, just like the man himself.
Douglas made his name in 'Fatal Attraction' before star turns in 'Basic Instinct' and 'Wall Street', for which he won 1988's Best Actor Oscar. His next film is his first major blockbuster for years, the Marvel superhero called Ant-Man in which he stars opposite Paul Rudd.
Here are 10 of his best quotes...
- "[In 1980] The exciting thing about making movies today is that everything is up for grabs. And you had better grab."
- "Actors are paid to be selfish and self-involved."
- "I'm not a big filmophile. I don't watch movies a lot for a hobby. I spend all my time watching sporting events. Because, opposed to movies, you can never tell how they're going to end."
- "Not going public with having cancer was not much of an option, even if I had objected. When you are a celebrity, nothing remains secret for very long. If it helps bring attention, then that is a major upside to this whole thing. Millions of families are going through the same thing my family and I are now going through. If I can bring any relief or encouragement to those suffering, that's the good news."
- "I don't know about Brad Pitt, leaving that beautiful wife to go hold orphans for Angelina [Jolie]. I mean, how long is that going to last?"
- "Revenge is a very good motivation if you can direct it. It's healthy. Very healthy."
- "As soon as I met Catherine [Zeta-Jones] I told her I wanted to have babies with her, and the moment I found out that she had the same birthday as me - tadaah! Then when I discovered she loved golf, I realized all my fantasies had come true. I've lucked out at this time in my life. I just lucked out. I'm so impressed by her intelligence, sense of humor and work ethic."
- "Those British film certificates explained in full: 'Oh, I get it, it's simple. PG means the hero gets the girl, 15 means that the villain gets the girl, and 18 means everybody gets the girl.'"
- "I'm impressed with the people from Chicago. Hollywood is hype, New York is talk, Chicago is work."
- "I do pictures for myself, because I figure if I like them, some other crazy people out there might like them, too."