ben stokes
Ben Stokes is a key player for England in all formats of the game Getty

Ahead of the T20 World Cup starting in India next week, Ben Stokes has said England will continue to play aggressive cricket as the Three Lions look to win their second T20 title. The 24-year-old will be playing his first world tournament for the country after missing out on the 2014 T20 edition due to a locker room punch-up while being dropped by the selectors for the 2015 Cricket World Cup.

The all-rounder made headlines during England's tour of the West Indies in 2014 when he injured his hand after striking the dressing room locker in anger, frustration or most likely both. Speaking to the Mirror on that incident, Stokes said: "One (T20 World Cup), was missed through injury after the old right hook and that was certainly the most embarrassing of the two.

"People will see that as a random moment, an explosion, but it was a three-week tour of West Indies and I felt I had become reasonably established with the England team, so to under-perform massively after such a good start in Australia meant the frustration was building up.

"It was a big release, it just happened. It wasn't something I was thinking of doing walking into the changing room. Obviously I regret it and will never do anything like that again.

"At that time I had no other method to release that frustration. I thought talking to someone would show weakness.

"These days I know I am going to go through period of low scores, there will be times that don't go well but then something will just happen for me. I have learned I am not necessarily a form player but an in-the-moment player.

"The management team know that every time I step on the pitch I am giving them everything."

England's new aggressive approach has been widely lauded by both fans and former players. However, despite losing the One-Day International and the T20 series against South Africa, Stokes said the team will stick to the new approach.

"There is no reason to change because of those two games. The first one we lost on the last ball when we shouldn't have been anywhere near winning. Then, in the next game we got AB de Villiered. Every team has suffered that."

England are drawn in Group One in the T20 World Cup along with South Africa, Sri Lanka, West Indies and the winner of Group B qualifiers. They start their campaign on 16 March at Mumbai where they face the West Indies.