Waqar Younis
Waqar Younis has urged fans to rally behind the team ahead of the T20 World Cup Getty

Pakistan's cricket team performances of late have come in for criticism both from fans and former players back home. However, coach Waqar Younis has urged the country to rally behind the team ahead of the ICC 2016 T20 World Cup that starts next week.

Pakistan's struggles in the ongoing Asia Cup where they were knocked out after losing to India and Bangladesh, have led to a special committee being formed by Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chief Shaharyar Khan, which will monitor the players' performances and examine the selection process for the upcoming T20 World Cup.

"This word, tehqiqat (investigation), isn't very pleasant. But the circumstances are such that such words will be used. I think there are far worse words being used in our media, but that's the way it is. You have take it on your chin when you are in this business. I guess this is why everyone is trying their best to have good World T20", coach Waqar Younis said, as quoted by ESPNCricinfo.

"We have to pick ourselves up, not only the team but even the management. Even the entire country I feel, we are going to a big tournament. You cannot really just put everyone down at all times and then send them off to such a big event. I think it is about time that we should back our boys as well as the management because all the backing will be required."

"We have not been very happy with the top-order but to be fair to them, it has been a tough outing for them if you consider the pitches or conditions here. It's been very difficult, the bowlers have had a good say especially with the new ball."

"So I think the most positive I would like to take is that our bowlers bowled really well. I am really impressed with Mohammad Amir's bowling. Irfan is coming really good. Wahab Riaz played today. We scored 50 in the first six overs but it came late. But we will go to the World T20 with this win."

"Sarfraz's batting has been the highlight. Umar Akmal has played well. Shoaib Malik has played well. The middle and lower-middle order, they've been pretty good. It is just that the top three batsman have struggled in the matches before this match. But yeah, we have to really fix that."

Pakistan are drawn in Group 2 in the 2016 ICC World T20 along with Australia, India, New Zealand and the winner of the Group A qualifier and will start their campaign on 16 March at Eden Gardens, Kolkata.