Ehsan Mani
Former ICC chief Ehsan Mani has advised the PCB to not allow its players to play in Dharamshala Getty

The 2016 ICC World T20 clash between India and Pakistan has been in the news for all the wrong reasons, with speculation rife that the match may be cancelled or shifted to another venue due to security reasons. Former International Cricket Control (ICC) chief Ehsan Mani has added his voice to the issue, advising the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) not to allow its players to travel to Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh, for their match against India on 19 March.

Speaking to the Dawn News Channel, Mani said the PCB needs to seriously consider the threats by the state authorities who are against Pakistan playing at Dharamshala.

"I would advise the Pakistan Cricket Board to take these threats seriously, because it involves the security of our players, officials, people and media who will go to India for the event," said Mani, as quoted by Cricket Country.

"If this match had involved the Australian team I am sure by now they would have pulled out of the match. They made their position on security for their players clear when they pulled out of the ICC Youth World Cup in Bangladesh earlier this year."

"The Pakistan government has also shown it believes in having cricketing relations with India, but I think playing in Dharamshala in this environment would be risky for the Pakistan team."

The India vs Pakistan clash at Dharamshala has sparked a controversy in India, with various state ministers threatening a violent demonstration if the match is not cancelled or moved to another venue. Mohali and Kolkata have been mooted as alternative venues. The issue has been discussed by Shashank Manohar and Shaharyar Khan, the presidents of the Indian and Pakistan boards, but nothing has been finalised as yet.