Among several other Android powered devices the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, currently running on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean official firmware, is the one to receive the official SlimBean Build 4.2 ROM released by the SlimROMs team.
The Build 4.2 is based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and is updated to the JDQ39E firmware. Like always, the present SlimBean build brings an array of custom features which are not found in the official version. Moreover, the Build 4.2 fixes the language bug issues which are found in the previous SlimBean Build 4.
SlimBean Build 4.2 custom ROM is available for Galaxy Tab 2 7.0.
Changes and features of SlimBean Build 4.2
Update to JDQ39E
Added Music Playback Control tile
Added Developer option for MediaScanner Behavior Control on boot
Added TextArea size to MMS
Enhanced Auto-Brightness UI
Updated PlayStore to v4.0.26
Fixed Translation issues
Fixed SlimSizer FC
Fixed BlackList button behavior
Fixed NavBar menu hidden on softkey devices
Fixed SlimIRC bugs
Fixed DashClock extension icons hidden when minimised
Fixed PIN entry disable by some apps
Mako: Added focus modes to camera, seems to fixed flash
Nozomi: Reduce lowest brightness level
D2: Fixed video playback reboot
Possible Unknown Alarm tone [After-effect of updated tones]
Auto-Brightness help menu opens some derped screen
Bootloop in Spanish and French when setting display battery to always on lockscreen- flash fix if available in device download page
Head over to the source page to learn more about the SlimBean Build 4.2 release.
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 users who wish to upgrade their tablet to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean through the SlimBean Build 4.2, may follow our step-by-step guide below. It should be notes the devices running on Build 4 can be directly updated to Build 4.2. But users, who are having the older version of SlimBean, should perform data wipe.
The device may encounter with minor bug issues after installation as the ROM is in its development stage.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any mishap. User area also advised to ensure that their devices meet following requirements.
1) Download and install USB drivers for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to transfer files between the Android device and the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the tablet to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) The tutorial might wipe all data of the tablet, therefore, create backup for the same. If the device is having custom recovery such as ClockworkMod/TWRP already installed then users are recommended to backup data using the recovery.
4) The Galaxy tablet should have above 80 per cent of battery charge.
5) The device should be rooted and have ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed.
6) The SlimBean Build 4.2 ROM works only on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100/P3110. Applying this on incorrect variant is likely to brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 by navigating to Settings>> About tablet and install ROM accordingly.
7) After installing ROM if the tablet gets stuck on Booting animation or experience boot loop then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache five more times before rebooting the device.
8) Users are advised to give about five to 10 minutes to the ROM after it boots first time to settle everything for a better user experience.
Steps to install SlimBean Build 4.2 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100/P3110
Step-1: Download SlimBean Build 4.2 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM for Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to the computer
Download links: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100/ Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3110 [Alternative link]
Step-2: Download SlimBean Gapps [Google Apps package]
Step-3: Connect the Galaxy tablet to the computer using USB cable. Now copy the downloaded zip files to the SD card of the device. Do not extract any files
Step-4: Disconnect the tablet from the computer and then turn it off
Step-5: Now place the device into recovery mode by turning on the tablet while pressing and holding Volume Down and Power buttons together
Note: In recovery mode, use the Volume keys to scroll between the options and use Power button to select the desired option.
Step-6: In the recovery mode, first perform a Nandroid backup of the existing ROM which can be restored later if the new ROM does not work or users wish to return to their previous firmware. To perform a Nandroid backup, select Backup and Restore then on the next screen select Backup again. Once the backup is completed, return to the main recovery menu
Step-7: Now perform data wiping task to avoid clash between the new ROM and the previous ROM. To do so, select wipe data/factory reset then select Yes on the next screen to confirm the action. Wait for some time until the data wiping is done and then go back to the CWM recovery menu. Select wipe cache partition and after wiping cache partition is completed select Wipe Dalvik Cache under the advance option to perform dalvik cache wiping. When the action is completed go back to the recovery menu
Step-8: Select install zip from sdcard then select choose zip from sdcard. Now navigate to the SlimBean Build 4.2 ROM zip file which was earlier copied to the SD card of the tablet. Select it using the Power button and confirm installation on the next screen. The ROM installation will begin now
Step-9: When the ROM is installed, follow the same procedure (step-8) and choose the SlimBean Gapps zip to install the Googel apps
Step-10: After the installation process is completed, go back to the main recovery menu and reboot the tablet by selecting reboot system now. The device will now reboot and boot up in to the SlimBean customised ROM. The tablet will take about five minutes to boot up for the first time
Note: To go back to the previous ROM, boot the tablet into recovery mode, select Backup and restore then restore the ROM by selecting it from the list.
SlimBean Build 4.2, based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, is now installed and running on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100/P3110. Head over to Settings>> About tablet to verify the software version of the device.
Click here for step-by-step guide to install Android 4.1.2 XXDMC2 Jelly Bean on Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3110.
[Source: Droid Firmwares]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader