Earth Day is celebrated annually on 22 April. The environmental movement took shape in 1970 in America, when 20 million people marched on the streets to show their support for a sustainable and healthy environmental future for the planet.
Earth Day is celebrated each year in efforts to create awareness and propagate increased support for environmental protection and safeguarding our planet. The organisers of the movement have announced their most ambitious goal yet to mark the 46th year of the movement — to plant 7.8 billion trees over the span of the next five years.
In celebration of the movement, IBTimes UK has compiled a list of top 10 quotes on our home planet.
- "Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's needs, but not every man's greed." - Mahatma Gandhi
- "Find your place on the planet. Dig in, and take responsibility from there." - Gary Snyder
- · "The world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." - Wendell Berry
- · "The laws of nature tell us there's a finite amount of any substance on the face of the earth, and at some point, that's going to run out. And if we're smart and we have some grace and we have some willingness about our destiny, then we will take ourselves into the renewable world." - Mark Ruffalo
- · "We only get one planet. Humankind must become accountable on a massive scale for the wanton destruction of our collective home. Protecting our future on this planet depends on the conscious evolution of our species." - Leonardo Dicaprio
- · "We are in danger of destroying ourselves by our greed and stupidity. We cannot remain looking inwards at ourselves on a small and increasingly polluted and overcrowded planet." - Stephen Hawking
- · "Once you've been in space, you appreciate how small and fragile the Earth is." - Valentina Tereshkova
- · "There have only been about a half dozen genuinely important events in the four-billion-year saga of life on Earth: single-celled life, multi-celled life, differentiation into plants and animals, movement of animals from water to land, and the advent of mammals and consciousness." - Elon Musk
- · "Personally, I do not know whether humankind is alone in this vast universe. But I do know that we should cherish our existence on this precious speck of matter... the greatest gift that could be bestowed upon us. For all practical purposes, there is only one planet Earth." - Ban Ki-moon
- · "What is the use of a house if you haven't got a tolerable planet to put it on?" - Henry David Thoreau