Galaxy S3 I9300 can now be updated to the latest custom Android 5.0.2 Lollipop ROM, thanks to the release of CyanogenMod 12-based Resurrection Remix ROM by XDA recognised developer, varund7726.
The Resurrection Remix ROM brings a blend of latest Lollipop features taken from CyanogenMod (CM), Slim, Omni and original Remix ROM builds in a rare combination of performance, customisation and power.
Several performance tweaks taken from earlier builds of Resurrection Remix ROM are now available by default in this ROM, thanks to the consolidated efforts of CM, OMNI and SlimROM teams.
Some of the noteworthy features ported into this ROM are as follows:
- Statusbar clock customisation + second + fonts
- Network traffic monitor
- Toast animations
- Add changelog
- Listview animations
- Navigation bar dimensions
- Add weather display to status bar header
- Quick unlock
- Overall speeds up the system
- Brand new music and audio fx app from Cyanogen
- Includes all CM 12 features
- And other Slim, Omni and original RR improvements and system UI changes running in this build
Interested users can install the latest Lollipop-based CM12 ROM on their Galaxy S3 I9300 by following the step-by-step guide provided below.
IBTimes UK reminds readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after the ROM installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for the international variant of Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300) only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone
- Ensure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Galaxy S3 USB drivers)
- Enable USB Debugging mode via Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 4.0 or above) or Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier)
- Ensure that the device is rooted with CWM recovery installed and its bootloader is unlocked
Steps to Install CyanogenMod 12 based Android 5.0.2 Resurrection Remix ROM on Galaxy S3 I9300
Step 1 - Download CyanogenMod 12 Android 5.0 custom ROM for Galaxy S3 on the computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount the phone's USB mass storage on computer with the USB cable.
Step 3 - Now, copy the downloaded Resurrection Remix ROM zip file to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5 - Now boot the device into Recovery Mode by pressing Volume up, Home and Power buttons on your phone.
Step 6 - Once the phone enters into CWM Recovery, perform a full data wipe task by clicking Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Use the Volume keys to navigate between options and the Power button to select an option in the Recovery Mode.
Step 7 - Then, perform Wipe Cache Partition and wait until the process completes.
Step 8 - Now perform Wipe Dalvik Cache as well. To do this, go to the 'advanced' option and then click Wipe Dalvik Cache. This will help in preventing boot loop issues or any boot ROM related errors during firmware installation.
Step 9 - Then return to the main recovery menu and choose Install Zip from SD card.
Step 10 - Now click Choose Zip fromSD card. Use volume keys to navigate to the Resurrection Remix ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your phone's SD card and choose it by tapping thePower button. Confirm the ROM installation on the next screen and the installation process will begin.
Note: Repeat Step 9 and Step 10 to install Google Apps (Gapps) as well.
Step 11 - Once both the Gapps and ROM are installed, go to "+++++Go Back+++++" and select Reboot System Now in the Recovery menu.
The phone will now reboot and the first boot may take about five minutes to complete. So, please be patient.
Your Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 is now running the latest Android 5.0.2 Lollipop via CM12 based Resurrection Remix custom ROM. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.