Supernatural season 11 will return from its mid-season hiatus as more drama is in store for Winchester brothers – Sam and Dean. The fall finale ended with trouble for the hunters, with Sam being trapped in a cage in hell by Lucifer, and Dean got to know of his destiny with Amara, before she was whisked away in black clouds by angels.
Here are a few things to expect in mid-season premiere episode: [Warning: potential spoilers ahead, proceed at your own risk.]
1. Episode 10 is titled, The Devil Is In The Details will air on 20 January 2016 at 9pm EST. The title hints at bad ramifications for Dean and Sam, as the devil – in the title hints at Lucifer – will have ulterior plans for the latter. Lucifer had tricked Sam into the cage and the upcoming episode will pick up from there. According to the synopsis, the devil will give Sam a way out of the cage, but it comes with a price, which could lead to trouble for the Winchester brothers.
2. Dean and Amara's complicated relationship could be highlighted in episode 10. The synopsis also talks about Dean and Castiel and the angel's strike that could have killed Amara (guest star Emily Swallow).
3. The trailer for episode 10 seems like a Christmas special for Supernatural fans. The voice-over in the promo says: "Supernatural has a present for you, but you can't open it until January." In the promo fans would see Lucifer dressed as Santa Claus.
4. Castiel was missing in action in the mid-season finale, but the angel will return on the show with a big motive. Misha Collins teased that Castiel will make a deal with the Devil. In an interview with Buddy TV, Collins said: "In an effort to combat the Darkness, in a sense, Cas makes another deal with the Devil that becomes another one of those things that everyone probably knows is a bad idea, but he does it."
5. According to Ruth Connell, episode 10 will feature some emotional backstory for Rowena. Connell told Nerdist, "We'll see some more backstory in episode 10. There were some things that I just imagined for Rowena's backstory and now we literally see what I've always imagined. I love that the fans are going to get to find out how and why she is the way she is. We get to go to some really emotional places."